Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

HTC phone + Remote - help needed

TimK

Hi - my first post - and I really hope it doesn't come over as a rant but I do admit to a lot of frustration at the moment.

I've spent a lot of time and effort over the last few days trying to use my HTC Desire + ZerOS Remote to connect to our OrbXF but without success. I've had two conversations with Tech Support who encourage me to continue trying and tell me I shouldn't be getting the prompts/issues/crashes that I'm getting - but it still isn't working, so I'm on here hoping to finally nail the problem.

What has added to my confusion is that I've just found a couple of old posts on this forum that begin to worry me. They hint at issues with HTC phones remotely accessing desks - but there has been no mention of this from Tech Support.

These forum posts are:

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:03 AM - Jon from Zero in his reply says "HTC phones block the port scanning protocol we use to find the console, so you will then need to type the IP address of the desk into the ZerOS app manually."

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:08 AM - Kirkup_xp from Zero in his reply says "The application discovers the desk using UDP broadcast packets, which can mask some IP addressing issues."

My situation is that I successfully connect to the router via my HTC and the phone screen shows the OrbXF on the first line on the screen but without any ID codes. When I click Connect I'm asked for the IP address (which Tech say it shouldn't do) but then the entry screen only shows the first two of the four IP address boxes (the second two boxes are condensed to a thin strip and, on either orientation of the screen, they will not reveal). A Password request box then pops up, but our desk doesn't have a password set on it - and then my screen either goes blank or crashes right back to phone's Home screen.

In summary, there seem to be two main issues: 1) the app is preventing the HTC phone displaying all four IP entry boxes and 2) the HTC is not able to see the desk.

My Lighting Director and another colleague, each with non-HTC phones, connect easily everytime.

I'm hoping someone can throw light on a solution for me.

Hi Tim,

Please could you email me the following:

- Version of software on the desk (SETUP > Files > Desk Information)

- Version of Android on your phone

- Version of the ZerOS Remote App on your phone

- IP address of the desk

- IP address of the router

- IP address of the phone

Sorry, we wouldn't normally need all this information, but because HTC have decided to block the Port Scanning Protocols it makes our life a little bit harder!

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Jon

Here is the info you requested:

- - - - - - - - - - - -

OrbXF desk software = 6.0.0

OS Version = 6.0.0.0 14.10.2010 LNX

- - - - - - - - - - - -

HTC Desire A8181:

- Android 2.2

- Baseband version = 32.48.00.32U_5.10.05.30

- Kernel version = 2.6.32.15-g29e526b htc kernel@and18-2 #1

- Build number = 2.17.61.3 CL274424 release-keys

- Software no. = 2.17.61.3

- Browser version = Webkit 3.1

- - - - - - - - - - - -

ZerOS software:

- Version 1.2.9

- 6 April 2011

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Router IP = 192.168.1.1

Desk IP = 192.168.1.2

HTC phone IP = 19.168.1.100

- - - - - - - - - - - -

If you require any further information, please let me know.

Hi Tim,

You are currently running old software on your console (latest is ZerOS 7.3) and old ZerOS Remote App software (latest is 1.4.11).

Both of these are free updates.

It appears that HTC hasn't blocked the protocol on your phone, as you can see the desk appear. This means you should just tap on the desk, and not press the 'Connect' button.

Please let me know if this works,

Jon Hole

Hi Jon

I only downloaded ZerOS Remote a few days ago from AM/Google Play, so didn't expect it to be out-of-date so soon. However, my Lighting Director acknowledges that the desk software does need updating. I'm not clear, do I/we need to update the software first before trying again?

I had been tapping the desk name but it didn't respond - and the OrbXF desk name on the screen didn't have numerals in a string after it, whereas on the LD's phone the name has a bunch of numerals as well as the name. Another sign, I assumed, that the desk wasn't being seen properly.

It's first night tonight so the update, if we need to do it first, may not happen right away.

Thank you for your response.

Tim

Hi Tim,

I'm not sure why / how 1.2.9 was downloaded from Google Play a few days ago, as the latest version of the software has been out since June 6th, 2011.

Try updating your console first, and see if that sorts the problem.

Best Regards,

Jon Hole

Jon

Just realised, I >>have<< got the up-to-date ZerOS Remote software i.e. 1.4.11 - I'd given you the version code for the "About" notes by mistake, not the software version code - doh!

So updating the desk software is the only other solution - we'll tackle it very soon and come back to let you know if it solves everything.

Cheers

Tim

PS: On the other hand, the mystery of the two compressed IP address boxes on the HTC phone screen remains. Let's hope I won't need to access them.

Hi Tim

Thanks for your patience with this - I've logged the bug where the version is being incorrectly reported with our software team (reference ZOS-4501).

As for why the device isn't correctly connecting to the desk, i've asked our software team to investigate this and we'll get back to you with findings.

Sorry for the delay here - there's something odd going on for sure.

Peter

Peter Kirkup

• 1 month later...