Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Help with chases

karleaton

I'm currently pulling my hair out trying to add a chase to a cue.

I have set up a second cue stack and recorded the chase steps to it. I have then converted this cue stack to a chase. So far so good.

I have worked out that to start or stop this chase from cues in the default cue stack I need to add a macro to the cue. What I can't do is work out what macro commands to use.

I did manage to get a cue to start running a chase using G2 but when I try to stop it in the next cue using R2 it dumps me back to the beginning of the cue stack (so pressing GO takes me to cue 1).

Also is there an easier way of creating a simple generic chase and adding it to a cue because this way sucks!

Hi Karleaton,

Try replacing G2 with T2/1 (Trigger Stack 2, Cue 1)

If this doesn't work, please could you email me your show file? My email address is in my signature below.

Running chases like this means that you can reuse Step Based chases multiple times throughout your show. We are looking at ways to make this even easier.

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd update this topic to include the resolution that was arrived at via email (just in case anybody else encounters the same problem). I should mention that Jon provided the resolution way back in Feb, shortly after the above post, I just didn't think to update this topic until today.

When control passes from one cue stack to another the desk checks to see if any of the channels are still controlled by the original stack (i.e. tracking is dependent on the previous stack). If no channels are still taking their level from the previous stack then the old stack is tidied up (or 'stomped').

Because we run in non-tracking mode the new cue stack (with the chase in it) grabbed all the channels and the old stack was therefore stomped. When we returned to the old stack after the chase it reverted to its initial state - hence the problem.

Apparently the solution is to patch an extra (imaginary) fixture after the chase has been recorded and then record a cue on the old stack including the new fixture. I haven't had chance to test this out yet but it should do the trick.