Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

LeapFrog48 - frozen.

chw

Hello Zero88-support team

I'm using the my Leapfrog48 a few years now and I really like it.

But the last weeks the desk (OS 7.2) showed a weired behavior - the user interface didn't react anymore.

This happened 4 times now - the first two times I thought it is because of the frankly spoken chaotic show file.

Lots of fixtures, 4 remote connections, 20 additional submasters over dmx in etc.

Yesterday I had almost nothing connected: 4 washlights, 2 strobes, 1 fog machine 2 dimmer channels for generics and 12 led par can fixtures.

I reseted the desk before I started and I had only minutes for patching and programming... so no huge show files.

A few submasters, the rest was "live" from presets.

What happend:

The desk was "frozen":

Moving faders, pressing all buttons... no reaction, only the submaster pages changed after seconds....

The desk was still sending dmx - but with delays and "glitches".

When did it happen:

I always edited submaster settings.

After a reboot of the desk everything was back to normal.

If you are interested in the show files, I can send them to you by email if you wish.

The first reason for this post is of course to fix this, the second is that I would like to ask how to have a backup strategy for such cases?

I saw there is a backup functionality implemented - how does it work?

A few weeks ago as this happened the 2nd time the venue was lit up with lots of led fixtures. (no dmx = no light = a dark venue)

Luckily it was during a programming session the evening before. But in this case I had a bad feeling during the complete show.

Of course there are emergency lights, but it is no fun to turn on hundreds of neon-tubes and flood lights during a show because we have

to reboot the desk....

Hi Chw,

I'm really sorry to hear you've had these problems - it doesn't sound normal at all.

Could you email me a copy of your show file, together with the information displayed in SETUP / FILES / DESK INFORMATION to peter.kirkup@cooperindustries.com and i'll get our team to look into this straight away for you.

The tracking backup functionality allows you to link two desks using an Ethernet connection and syncronise show files. You can use a PC as the second 'desk', using the ZerOS Unlock Dongle. For this solution to work, you need to be only outputting Ethernet DMX, not physical DMX from the desks, as the DMX outputs from both desks couldn't be connected to your rig at the same time.

I'll look forward to your email and hope to get back to you with a fix soon.

Peter

Peter Kirkup