Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Load Show

DickM

May seem like a silly question, but is there any way of getting the Phantom Frog to load a show from anywhere other than a floppy drive?

My PC doesn't have a floppy, but I've got my show file that I emailed to myself from another machine that does, so the file is now on my hard-drive. But I can't load it up because the Phantom seems to only search for a floppy... and fails to find one :(

If it can't currently be done, can I ask for it to be considered for the next release please :?:

Cheers, Dick.

It's OK... I found a way to do it using standard Windows-XP :D - using the Computer Management tool (in the Administrative Tools on the Control Panel) I renamed my removable USB memory drive to be drive-A. Then copied the show file from the hard-drive onto that.

Because this is now the A-drive, the Phantom Frog then thinks it's a floppy and quite happily loads the show!

It might be an idea to still consider a 'load from anywhere' function for a future release of the Phantom Frog though, as some people will not have another drive they can rename, and even if they have, they might not be happy to mess around with their computer configuration like this.

Cheers, Dick.

Why not install a floppy drive on your pc? they cost about 15euro the ribbon should be knockin around inside your pc, and the power supply has loads of juice to run it.

True, I could install one, but in the two years I've had this PC this is the first time I've ever needed one. I normally move any data around either using my home LAN or a 64Mb USB memory drive - a floppy is soooo 20th Century :wink:

It won't be long before th Frog's are shipped with USB ports I'm sure :idea:

Cheers, Dick

a floppy is soooo 20th Century

lol

seen some big disk´s before ;)

24.jpg

Please add to our frogs with next update a USB Port, Harddisk for loads of memorys and DVD Rom to see some cool Videos on a boring venue

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Have a look at Phantom Frog 9.2

I will take a look, but I guess trying to edit a show with v9.2 that was created on a hired desk that's supplied with v7 is not a good idea!

When the hire co update their software, I'll update my copy of the Phantom!

You should be able to edit a show created with version 7 software on the latest Phantom Frog (9.2), without any problems.

Any information that is not present in the older show file should be set to default values automatically (eg number of shots on chase memories, new submaster/SX defaults etc.)

As long as you don't edit any parameters which are new in version 9 software, then you should also be able to reload your show file into a desk with version 7 software, although obviously it would be better to update the desk software as well :D

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

• 5 months later...
Why not install a floppy drive on your pc? they cost about 15euro the ribbon should be knockin around inside your pc, and the power supply has loads of juice to run it.

True, I could install one, but in the two years I've had this PC this is the first time I've ever needed one. I normally move any data around either using my home LAN or a 64Mb USB memory drive - a floppy is soooo 20th Century :wink:

It won't be long before th Frog's are shipped with USB ports I'm sure :idea:

Cheers, Dick

Floppy drives only cost between £5-10 and there always handy to have around its worth having one.

I may have missed something but i sure i remember changing the floppy path on start up of phantom frog so that it read from hard drive.

yaeh under where you select type of desk frog, fat frog etc is a box labeled floppy path hit the browse button and point froggy whereever you like.

Barry

I may have missed something but i sure i remember changing the floppy path on start up of phantom frog so that it read from hard drive.

yaeh under where you select type of desk frog, fat frog etc is a box labeled floppy path hit the browse button and point froggy whereever you like.

Barry

Not on the version I was using there wasn't, but then things may have changed since then.

But thanks for the tip - next time I need to use it, I'll download the latest version with this handy new feature.

DickM

The functionality that allows you to choose which drive to load shows from can be found on version 9.2 of the Phantom Frog.

When you start up Phantom Frog, select the Desk Type (eg Fat Frog) and then click on the Browse button.

You then get a window asking you to insert a disk into drive A. Click on the Cancel button in this window.

You then get a Browse for Folder window which allows you to select a drive where you have stored your show files. Select the required drive and click on the OK button.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

The functionality that allows you to choose which drive to load shows from can be found on version 9.2 of the Phantom Frog.

Thanks for the confirmation K-Nine.

Just goes to prove what a great place this is to post your questions/problems... not only do you invariably get useful suggestions from fellow members, it may even result in an improvement to the product too :D

DickM