Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Beeping Errors!

karleaton

Does the Orb have the facility to make noise?

Yes, I know it's for lighting not sound ;)

But I'd really like it to beep at me when I enter invalid syntax or do something equally foolish. I'd even be happy if it called me a plonker. Anything to alert me to the problem so I don't soldier on in ignorance.

And yes I know it turns the command line red when the syntax is wrong but to be honest I don't tend to look at the screen that much (I'm usually too busy looking for the keys I want to press).

Similarly when the Orb wants me to do something (like confirm an overwrite whilst recording) it would be good if it gave the equivalent of a polite cough.

Obviously, the ability to turn the sound off would be good as well for those who think lighting desks should be seen and not heard.

We've had requests for this already but unfortunately there isn't a facility to do this on currently shipping hardware.

However, it is listed for any future developments that we may like to do, as issue ZOS-3214, and I have added your comments to this issue.

If it ever does get implemented, there would certainly be a way to turn it off. There are several users who would dislike this feature... I guess as a professional board op, you don't want the whole auditorium to know every time you make a mistake!

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control