Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Which desk should I buy?

Rob Younger

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade our present lighting desk. We have a bunch of fixed lanterns (Pars, profiles, PC's etc) and have just acquired a couple of (don't laugh) Acme 250s moving heads. We occasionally have the use of some Robe and Mac movers too.

I'm considering a Jester ML 24/48 - will this give me all the control that I need for the movers? I am happy with everything else that it can do - we often use our existing (Strand 48 channel) desk in Submaster mode as our venue is mainly live music, so we don't usually use cues.

Being new to 'intelligent' lights, will I be able to set up constant moves such as circles / arcs / sweeps on the Acmes using the ML?

Is there any advantage in going for the Leap Frog instead? There doesn't seem to be as many subs per page on the Leap Frog, which does put me off slightly.

Dimmers are Zero88 Betapack 3's, which work a treat!

Regards,

Rob Younger

Hi Rob,

We have the Acme iMove 250 moving lights in our Fixture Library, so if they are the fixtures you have acquired then the Jester will be fine controlling these. If they are other fixtures, we can make you a fixture file to install onto the Jester to make them work.

The console has some built in movement effects such as circle, triangle, fixture 8 etc, so you will easily be able to create some continuous movements.

There are A LOT of advantages to the Leap Frog 48 & 96 consoles, however you have to decide if these are worth the additional cost. If you would like to talk through the options and features, give the office a call and we'll be happy to chat through which is best for you.

I hope this helps,

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control