Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Idiots guide?

retired

Yes, I am stupid - Try as I might I have great difficulty working the Jester - I can get it to work, and can even program the odd chase or two but I am not sure i am doing it the "proper" way or not.

The manual is like a different language to me, so I was wondering does anyone have a simple step by step way method they use to program a simple show?

we only have 24 lamps in our rig on 4 bars and I would like to program a few chases and have manual control quickly when needed to adjust scenes - what we do is have a static scene then go to a light chase and then back to a new static scene (or indeed the same one)

is there an easy way to do that?

thanks for reading (and no doubt laughing at the new boy) :blink:

The easiest way to do what you want would be to use Submasters.

When in RUN mode, the bottom row of faders become Submasters, and you can record single states ('looks'), or chases, onto each submaster.

To do this, whilst in PROGRAM, use the bottom row of flash buttons to select one of the Submasters. Use the faders (in program the bottom faders are still channels) to create the look on stage that you want, and then press the record button.

To record a chase, do the same as above but record only the first step (ie channel 1 at full). Then, set up the second step of the chase (ie channel 2 at full, channel 1 back off) and press record again. On the screen it will show a warning message asking if you want to overwrite the submaster. If you go left, and then up, you will select the 'make chase' option.

Now repeat this for steps 3, 4, 5 of your chase etc etc (although this time it won't ask if you want to overwrite the submaster, as it already knows you are creating a chase).

When in run mode, push this fader up, and use the chase controllers on the desk (direction, speed, attack) to change how the chase looks.

Hope this all makes sense!

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control