Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Jester ML Flash Button Modes

Brian

Jester ML24/48

Is it possible to select different flash modes for different submaster flash buttons or is it a global setting?

ex-Leap Frog Owner, ex-Mambo Frog Owner, ex-XLS Owner, ex-Alcora Owner, ex-Elara Owner

Owner of a big pile of Betapack 2s

Bozone (n): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating.

"Am I dreaming this?" "No, and you ain't in Kansas neither."

"Longbottom's been neglecting his ear muffs."

Hi Jon,

thanks for the reply.

Shame it's global - it kinda renders it a 'nice on paper but useless in real life' feature. If you're using the latch option and then need to flash something you lose the latched subs when you change modes.

ex-Leap Frog Owner, ex-Mambo Frog Owner, ex-XLS Owner, ex-Alcora Owner, ex-Elara Owner

Bozone (n): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating.

Although I see why this would be a useful feature, I also see several 'problems' it could bring. I think several users could start getting confused as to what button is doing what, and hence making mistakes etc. How does a user who didn't program the console know how each button is set up to function? Should a solo channel take out latched channels or leave them in?

The Jester is designed to be a very simple, visual desk. I think adding levels of complexity in like this should be left to our higher end consoles.

A not-great work around, if you need something to imitate 'latching', would be to press and hold the flash button while pushing the fader up.

I hope this helps explain both points of view!

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

How does a user who didn't program the console know how each button is set up to function?

Press 'Special', press the flash key and the LCD displays the current function.

Subs with scenes on them cycle Flash/Latch/Solo

Subs with chases on them cycle Flash/Latch/Go/Beat/Solo

You don't need an Off option, if you don't want it to do anything then don't press the button! After all, you don't have an option to disable the DBO button.

Should a solo channel take out latched channels or leave them in?

Yes. Solo is always a destructive override. If it doesn't take then out then it's no different to Flash.

The Jester is designed to be a very simple, visual desk. I think adding levels of complexity in like this should be left to our higher end consoles.

I agree about it being a simple desk. It's just that, IMHO, this feature is broken.

• 2 years later...