Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Grouping fixtures | Edit Palettes without brightness channel

Lukimoe

Hi,

after having used the Jester ML 24 for the first time with some Moving Heads and a few LED Pars I have got some questions:

1) Is it possible to group fixtures?

Since there's nothing concerning this point in the manual I think, there is no such feature.

It would be very useful to group fixtures together so you can select e.g. alls Macs, all LED Pars or all fixtures at once in the fixtures Menu.

2) I recorded all palettes and submasters without brightness channels to control the brightness on some extra submasters.

This works great, but if I press the edit button the stage gets dark, since there is no brightness recorded.

Is there anyway to avoid this? It would be easier to set a preset if I could see the current settings on stage.

Best regards from Munich,

Lukas

Hi Lukimoe,

Sorry for not getting back quicker.

It's not possible to group fixtures on the range of Jester ML desks.

When editing a palette, the desk reporduces exactly what is stored in that palette, which is only colour / beam / possition information. When editing a palette, you can then turn on these fixtures, without the brightness being stored in the palette.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Jon

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Well, my problem is if I press the edit button,

the desk reproduces what's in the palette I selected.

Since there is no brightness recorded the stage turns dark.

But I can't just put off all lights till I manually brought the brightness channels back up,

since there are people working on stage, preparing for the next band or there's a band performing at the moment.

This is the more important issue with the edit feature, I forgot to mention that in the first post.

But it's also not a really good workflow if I press edit and then have to reselect all my fixtures and bring the brightness up ;)

Palettes on the Jester are designed to be created before a show or gig, so they are ready to be applied during programming or whilst live operating the desk.

A work around might be to apply the palette to your fixtures, make any changes and then instead of editing the palette, simply overwrite it.

Hope this helps?

Many Thanks

Jon Hole

This was the way I did it ;)

I just hoped there was another way.

This would be a nice feature for the next Update I think.

Maybe the usual behavior, the desk reproduces the palette which is currently edited

but you can control the brightness of all fixtures concerned by this palette with the grand master or something like that.

Thanks for your good support anyway!

Hi Lukimoe,

I've just tried overwriting a colour pallets on a Jester ML 24 and I can do this without the stage going dark.

Maybe you can let me know the exact key combinations you are using, and at what point you have the problem?

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Jon

Jon Hole

• 2 weeks later...