Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Another Stupid Q - Palettes

sam.henderson

HI,

This is another stupid Q From a beginner so I'm really sorry but please bear with me.

WHAT ARE PALLETES CANT GET MY HEAD AROUND THEM AT ALL. PLEASE EXPLAIN IN REAL SIMPLE TERMS.

Cheers

Sam

Palettes are like partial 'scenes' which contain Colour, Beamshape or Position data for fixtures.

They help speed up programming (or plotting) shows and can also be used for quick hands on effects when running the show.

For example select fixtures 1-4 and change them all to red, give them a particular gobo, or move them all to a pre-programmed position.

Once programmed, palettes can be referenced when programming memories, submasters or SX buttons (Mambo Frog).

Therefore if you have several memories for example which reference a 'Red' colour palette, and the LD decides he'd rather have orange, you only need to reprogram the palette from red to orange and not all the memories.

This feature is probably most used for position palettes, where you move the show around between different size venues etc. Imagine you have a position palette which shines four scanners on the drummer. In the next venue, the stage is a different size and he's a few feet further back; just reprogram the position palette to his new position, and all memories and subs which reference that palette will now shine the light on the drummer again :D

A simple example of palette use is the scanners in our demo room:

The scanners have a colour wheel with about 12 different colours, so I select all the scanners, set them to white and program as colour palette 1. Then change the colour to red, program as colour palette 2 etc.. for each colour on the wheel.

The scanners have a gobo wheel with about 12 different gobos, so I do the same and program a beamshape palette for each gobo.

For position I set up a number of different positions and program them into the position palettes (eg stage left, centre, stage right, in a horizontal line , in a vertical line etc.)

You then have a number of colour, beamshape and position 'building blocks' from which to construct your memories etc.

You can name your palettes and lock the monitor screen on one of the palette screens. In the next update package this will also lock the flash buttons to operate as the corresponding palettes, as well 8)

Hope that makes things clearer, if you have any further questions, just ask :D

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace