Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Submasters and LEDs - How to release chases

OpenEyes

My moving light chases are not releasing. I am unable to successfully release them on cue when the fader is at the bottom, they just keep running. Is there a way to have your cue lists release on command besides having select the fixtures via the MFK and homing them?

Any suggestions?

Hi Openeyes

I guess you're using the moving light effects engine with your moving lights, rather than chases? These should still be stopping when the fader reaches zero - are the effects programmed into a cue, a palette or a submaster?

One suggestion as a temporary solution would be to record palettes to stop the attributes you want to 'home' and activate those.

Peter

Peter Kirkup

• 1 month later...

Peter, yes I am using moving light effects on these cues. They do physically stop moving when the fader is at zero, but my problem is actually with the Intensity on the Submasters of my chases. If I record the cue at %75 intensity (strobing) then record it ,then switch to run mode it will always kick intensity to %100 (no strobe-full on) and I am unable to fade the sub at all - it stays %100. Before switching from program to run, I will roll intensity down to 0% on the moving lights then switch modes, It still kicks up intensity to %100 and I can't manually roll down the intensity on the editor side when I am in run. It will not budge. I have to go to back to program mode to roll intensity into a strobe range(or to fade out). When showing this problem to a friend I was able to make work once, and then it stopped working. I cant get it to work consistently. Unfortunately I only have limited time & access to the board. Any advice on how to fix this would be appreciated. Is it a tagging thing?

*My temp fix is a a moving light blackout fader*

Hi Openeyes

This sounds like your fixture intensity might be set to 100% in run mode. In Run Mode, select the fixture and manually wheel the intensity down.

Each fixture has an intensity level in run mode, which is mixed highest takes precedence with the submasters and memories. If this is set to a higher value than your sub is programmed at, this is the exact behaviour you'd see.

I hope this helps you out - let me know how you get on,

Peter

Peter Kirkup

Hey Peter. The culprit was the memory master. I was pretty much oblivious to it. It was always at %100, so I could never roll my movers intensity to %0. This explains some things!

I am controlling 4 groups of lights on my subs. Is there a way to configure my submasters so they are all have independent intensity control over the stored cue? Its seems the entire sub master playback intensity is governed by one fader. My movers wont fade out still. All channels and subs must be at %0 for my movers to fade out, otherwise they dont go below the Highest value fader. I should point out that all my LEDs work fine with regards to being able to fade out. Suggestions?

Hi Openeyes

This is due to the fact that intensity is always stored into submasters.

If you set the intensity of the LEDs to 0% whilst storing the subs, then store another one with intensity at full and no attributes tagged, then you can use that sub to set the intensity and the other subs to set the colour.

Does that help?

Peter

Peter Kirkup

Oddly enough, as of today, all my subs are doing what they should. My movers are on subs are fading out as they should while my LEDs are up. I have no idea what I am doing differently than I was a couple of days ago when I discovered the new problem. Thanks for the advice on using 2 subs. It'll probably come in handy! Thanks a zillion!

My problem currently is my LED Submasters. As mentioned. I have 1 for front light, 1 for walls and 1 for backlight. I cannot consistently record a clean scene on the fader. When I bring in a secondary fader into the mix, parameters are changing on when I dont want them too.The problem is the intensity. Say if I record backlight colors on fader, I will make sure my wall LEDS are Intensity @ 0, colors at 0. Its recording a blackout on the walls, so when I bring up back, my walls will blackout (if the walls are active). Ive tried intensity at 0 & colors at full, then when I bring up backlite, walls go white. Ive tried Intensity full, colors at zero. When I bring up backlite, walls blackout.

I tried what you suggested: I recorded 1 sub with full intensity. Then recorded another sub with a color and no intensity. I was unsuccessful. Nothing happened on any of the faders when I brought them up. My console was in full mode when I tried recording. I have successfully recorded faders that don't conflict when mixing them, but, I dont know I did it. What is the procedure to do this? Is it a mode setting?

Hi OpenEyes

The issue is the fact that you are storing the Colours at 0 too.

When you move a parameter wheel on the Jesters it 'tags' that parameter. That means that it will store data about that parameter into a cue or a submaster. If a parameter is untagged no data is stored. Only stored attributes are output when a cue or sub is played back, so if you don't store any colour data, no colour change will happen.

So, what you want on your "sides" fader is:

-100% intensity + Colour data for the side LEDs

-0% intensity + NO COLOUR DATA STORED for the other LEDs

Likewise mirror this arrangement for each other submaster, and you should see the behaviour you require.

I hope this helps,

Peter

Peter Kirkup