Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Adding more than 48 Dimmers

Stupot

Hi There

I'm using a LeapFrog48 for a show in a few weeks have been playing with the offline editor to get my head round it.

Ive hit a problem, im trying to patch additional dimmers (other than the 48 pre-patched).

For example, patch a new dimmer to 49, I select the dimmer to patch, enter dmx address [49], then what do I chose as a destination?

Ive got 120 channels of dimming I need to patch.

Ive tried the manual and done a search of the forums but not been able to find anything.

Also, when viewing the outputs on the monitor, when I change a channel, either by grabbing and moving a fader, or using the command line, there is no change to the chanel output?

Many Thanks In advance.

Hi Stupot,

as you have got not more than 48 faders, you have to program your additional dimmers as "fixtures". You can control them by using the MFKs and the right wheel (choose "position").

To patch the additional dimmer to DMx-adress 49, you push the first MFK on page 1, if you are to choose a destination. After that, you can press MFK 1 again, hold it and press MFK 20, you patch automatically 20 new dimmers to the MFKs on page 1.

Because of malfunction of output: maybe you have to raise the Grandmaster and Preset-A-Master?

Hope it helps

Jorge

Jorge

Thanks for your reply. It covered both my questions.

Apart from, say for example, say I create a state with a mac600, then save it to a submaster. When I raise the submaster fader, the pan and tilt changes, but the intensity doesn't

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the support.

However im still having a few issues. I gathered that I need to raise the preset and master faders to get an output on the outputs window (this only took effect when I lowered the master faders).

I can now get a visible output on screen when I raise individual chanell faders, but dont get an output when running through chases or submasters?

Is there something else im getting obviously wrong.

Thanks

Hi Stu

In the default (LTP) mode for the preset faders, moving the faders 'grabs' the value and puts it into the Program Window. Channels controlled by the program window remain controlled by the program window until you 'clear' the window out. Therefore, to get control from submasters or memories, you'll need to press CLEAR.

Alternatively, you can switch your preset faders into HTP mode by using SETUP / DESK SETUP /BEHAVIOUR / Preset Mix Mode. Once you've changed this setting you won't need to clear the program window to get control of the faders, however the faders will be *highest* takes precidence, so you won't be able to grab a level and lower it down. In HTP mode, all intensities for preset channels are stored into all memories and submasters.

I hope this helps to clear this up,

Peter

Peter Kirkup

Thanks Peter, that cleared things up.

I imagine things may become alot easier when I get the desk itself.

Just one other query.

Is it possible to record an effect (i.e. a movement effect) into a memory or sumbaster?

If so how would you go about this.

I've tried running an effect and then trying to record it, but this doesn't seem to do much.

Many thanks

Stu

Hi Stu

Are you running in tracking or non tracking mode? Is the effect running on fixtures or standard dimmers?

In Non-Tracking mode, the desk won't record any attributes which are associated with a fixture whose dimmer is at 0% - this is to prevent redundant moves and unnecessary programming.

I hope this helps,

Peter

Peter Kirkup

Thanks Peter

I'm running the desk on offline editor in non-tracking mode.

Experimenting with movement effects on mac600s.

I set the intensity to full and open the shutter and select an effect e.g. [1E Circle]

Then save that to a new memory.

Then home the fixtures.

When I come to play back the effect, I only see the Intensity value rise in the outputs window... the pan and tilt remain consant.

I should be able to see what's actually happening when I get the desk at the weekend and get it patched to some real fixtures.

Thanks

Stuart