Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Palettes

Lukimoe

Hi there,

I finally got our new Jester ML24 (It's for a... let's say Youth Centre) and I really like it.

But there is one thing i don't get managed.

If I have 2 different Fixtures assigned, let's say a Scanner and a Mac, I can define e.g. Colour Palettes for the Scanner.

But when i select the Mac there are the same Palettes as for the Scanner.

If I change one of them this Palette also changes for the Scanner.

Can I use different Palettes for specific Fixtures or is this not possible at the moment?

This would be very useful.

A stage with Wash Lights, some Spotlights, Scanners and maybe some LED Stuff is not really managable with 30 Palettes for all of these Fixtures.

Best regards from Munich,

Lukas

Generally when programming colour palettes, you use up the first ones with the colours you get on your colour wheel fixtures, in whatever order you're used to programming with, and matching them as close as you can with CMY or RGB fixtures also in the rig. Each fixture has it's own values in the palette, so you don't have to make all fixtures the same, although you'll probably find it easier to operate the desk if you do. After the basic colours, you can program some commonly used rainbows etc. into the palettes.

The vast majority of colour wheel fixtures don't have anything like 30 different colours to offer, so you shouldn't be running out. You also have the submasters and memories that you can record colours directly onto without needing to use up colour palettes. Use palettes for colours you re-use frequently, anything programmed as a one-off special can go directly into a submaster or memory.

It's the same on all our desks. You have palettes called "Red", or "Blue", or "Rainbow" for example, however what DMX values are in those palettes can be different for each fixture, since it's highly unlikely that the DMX value for red on your scanners will be the same as the DMX value needed for red on your moving heads.

When you play back a palette, it is applied to the selected fixtures only. So if you want just your scanners to go red, make sure they are selected and deselect everything else, then select the Red palette. All unselected fixtures will be unaffected and will remain at their previous values.