Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

More than one brightness channel per fixture

Laubfrosch

Hi all,

as you know I spent a few hours at the Mambo. :D

If it´s possible a fixture with for example more than just one HTP channel will be fine Just saving Fixture buttons and use more DMX Channels. I know the Mambo is almost a ml-controller, but this could be a nice feature espacially for disco venues. :mrgreen:

Thanks for reading

Sven

Sven Paulsen

Klangfarbe Vienna

• 2 weeks later...

How many generic dimmer channels do you want to be able to control?

How many intelligent fixtures do you want to be able to control?

If you could patch duplicate fixtures, (like you can patch duplicate generic channels on the other Frog desks) would this "be a nice feature"?

Hi Paul,

I think a fixture which contains 3 HTP- Channels will work fine. These HTP could be controlled via wheels.

This could add more flexibility for the Mambo, i.e. in medium size clubs or discos with 48 fixtures (ML and Colorchangers or whatever) you still have 144 HTPs to Patch and control.

cheers

Sven :wink:

Sven Paulsen

Klangfarbe Vienna

Hi,

As you are probably aware, the Mambo Frog was developed specifically as a fixture only desk for a particular market. However it is still possible to control generic lights (single brightness channel fixtures) using the desk.

The restriction however is that each generic has to be assigned to a different fixture number.

One of the fundamental ways in which fixtures are processed on all the Frog desks, not just the Mambo, is dependent on the fact that a 'fixture' can only have one brightness (HTP) channel.

HTP channels require significantly more processing than LTP channels, as there are a large number of possible sources which require calculating and then mixing on a HTP basis. For example, on the Mambo Frog there are 75 different sources for each HTP channel.

Cheers, K-Nine.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

• 5 months later...
If it´s possible a fixture with for example more than just one HTP channel will be fine Just saving Fixture buttons and use more DMX Channels. I know the Mambo is almost a ml-controller, but this could be a nice feature espacially for disco venues.

As explained in my earlier post, at present you can only have one HTP channel per fixture. However, your comments have been noted.

Until this matter is reviewed (along with all the other feature requests), it is not clear how simple or complicated this change would be, or what effect it could have on the general performance and speed of the desk.

Frog Reference No 5411 - Allow more than one HTP parameter to be defined in Brightness for a fixture.

Bran Media | Myspace

• 3 months later...

Try the fixture disk which came with your desk - it should have a profile for generic fixtures. You can only patch one per fixture, there is a Frog Reference number for mutilple intensity channels per fixture.

As for control, it works the same as a standard fixture brightness channel.

Peter Kirkup

Yes, it is possible to assign a generic fixture if you wish. A generic fixture has a single brightness channel, and is controlled in the same way as a brightness parameter on any other fixture type.

Out of interest why would you want to ? :evil:

I can think of only two reasons:

1. You have used up all your generic channels on the preset faders.

2. You have a Mambo Frog which only has 'fixtures'

Laubfrosch wrote:

If it´s possible a fixture with for example more than just one HTP channel will be fine Just saving Fixture buttons and use more DMX Channels. I know the Mambo is almost a ml-controller, but this could be a nice feature espacially for disco venues.

At present you can only have one HTP channel per fixture. However, your comments have been noted. Until this matter is reviewed (along with all the other feature requests), it is not clear how simple or complicated this change would be, or what effect it could have on the general performance and speed of the desk.

Bran Media | Myspace

Some venues run the house lights from the desks, hence you have to black the venue out before recording a cue, the noise boys dont like this.

With house lights on a fixture button they wont be recorded unless taged.

This is why I wanted to know how many channels could be patched to the button as some venues use 4/8 channels as house LX. :wink:

If you don't mind your houselights being LTP channels (and hence appearing in one of the attribute groups rather than brightness) you don't have a problem...

With house lights on a fixture button they wont be recorded unless taged.

This is why I wanted to know how many channels could be patched to the button as some venues use 4/8 channels as house LX. :wink:

If the houselights are assigned as 'generic' fixture types they WILL be recorded since they contain Brightness channels only. Fixture tagging and partial recording of memory and submaster data only applies to LTP parameters (colour, beamshape and position).

If you wanted house lights on fixtures which could be tagged when required, you would have to create your own fixture type with the appropriate number of channels defined as colour, beamshape or position parameters, as Tim mentioned in the previous post.

For example if you had 8 channels of house lights you could create a user fixture type as follows:

Manufacturer: K-NINE

Type: Houselights

Channel 1: House 1

Channel 2: House 2

Channel 3: House 3

Channel 4: House 4

Channel 5: House 5

Channel 6: House 6

Channel 7: House 7

Channel 8: House 8

If you made all the parameters Colour, you could select your fixture and Colour; wheel group 1 would contain House 1 -3; wheel group 2 would contain house 4 - 6 and wheel group 3 would contain house 7 and 8.

Bran Media | Myspace

• 9 months later...

When selecting and setting levels on this 'fixture' would you want all 6/12 Pars to have (a) the same outputs or (B) be controllable indvidually ?

(a) We would need to add in the function of being able to patch FIXTURES to multiple DMX addresses (as you can generic/dimmer channels on other desks in the frog series). This is something we are considering for later releases.

(B) This would require the ability to define a fixture type with more than 1 HTP (Brightness) parameters - again something we may have to consider for later releases.

Bran Media | Myspace

At present, a fixture can only have a single "Brightness" (HTP) parameter.

In the future, we will be looking at changing this limitation, but this impacts significantly on the processor loading of the desks, due to the HTP nature of the mixing.

Allowing more than one "Brightness" parameter will require changes in both the desk software and the fixture editing utilities which are used to produce the fixture personality files.

Bran Media | Myspace

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I have asked previously on here on how to use generic lanterns as fixtures on the wheels, and have since succeeded in this. I am now asking whether the following is possible at all:

Is there any way of getting getting a few generics to all run on each of the 3 wheels. I.e. could I control one bar of parcans on one wheel, whilst controlling another bar on another wheel, and controlling yet another set on the the third wheel - simultaneously?

I haven't a clue on how to go about this, is it posible? :?

sp

Hi SP,

Now, this might work, but I have a funny feeling that it won't, (I haven't used Fat Frog and editor for a little while). You could use the editor to create a fixture that has 6 channel, one for each channel on the pack. Then, assign the channels to one wheel. Alas, hopefully, all 6 channels on one wheel. If that dosen't work, I think it is not possible to do. Unless, you are a genius on the fixture editor and can make it do weird and wacky things, like, make a cup of tea! (maybe not)

Dr Chinchilla

I think you may have gathered by now that the simple answer is no :P

Even if we were to implement multiple patching of fixtures and allowed a fixture to contain more than one brightness parameter, I don't think you could achieve exactly what you wanted without some very specific patching on the dimmer side of things (ie specify a DMX address for each output channel on your dimmer).

Being able to patch a fixture to several DMX addresses would be a partial solution, but each fixture would only have the one parameter, so you could only control one bar of lights at a time from the control wheel.

Is the request specifically for control of a bar of parcans with the control wheels as opposed to other methods ?

You could always record three submasters directly each with one bar of parcans at full and use them :D

Bran Media | Myspace

Yes it looks as if I'll have to use the subs then. I'd just find it handy to be able to bring up the 'bars of pars', regardless of what submaster page i was on etc.

I've been using most of the subs recently as 'effects' - using like a 1-shot chase with the flash buttons.

As I've said many times, I haven't got any other use for the wheels, so that's why I thought itd put them to good use.

Never mind :)

sp

You could create a fixture that treats the bars as LTP. You could then have as many bars on wheels as you want. You would need to treat them as a beam shape probably. You would have to think a little when programming but it is relatively easy.

Graham

You could create a fixture that treats the bars as LTP. You could then have as many bars on wheels as you want. You would need to treat them as a beam shape probably. You would have to think a little when programming but it is relatively easy

Hi sp,

please mind that if you use the 'Beamshape LTP' values for generic lights it will be very tricky to dim this lights.

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I'm going to make a matrix with 12 6-channel dimmer bars on a Mambo Frog. Is it possible to assign 1 dimmerbar as 1 fixture?

The Fixture Type Editor doesn't allow more then 1 brightness channel on a fixture!!

I can assign the 6 channels as position but then it's not possible to adjust the intensity with the submaster because then it's a LTP value instead of HTP.

Does anyone have a better solution. :?:

I can't use one fixture for every channel because I also have 31 intelligent fixtures, six strobo's and a few more dimmers.

Marc.