Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Version 5 problems

masonpendrey

First of all i would like to say well done with the new Version 5. i like the changes

i installed it saturday for a rave i was doing saturday night and recorded lots to the sub pages.

what i found was if you are on sub page 2 and press down to go to page one it now jumps to page 0 or a blank page number.

also i had things recorded on 9 pages of subs. i found that sub 8 page 7 and sub 9 page 5 (i think)

stayed on top of all the other pages, (as it used to if you were still using them on the old version) but they will not turn off. (the sub faders were down )

the only way i could get them to clear was to delete them and re-record them.

the problem did not re-occur, but I have only used this for 1 night so far.

Also i found that if you press the shift button and the sub flash button it brings up what i think is a new screen for the subs.

Is there a way of getting more than one line of subs on this page?

many thanks

Mason

:mellow:

Hi Mason

The submaster page down problem is a bug which will be fixed in the next release - ZOS-2731.

Pressing shift and a submaster flash button brings up a window which appears on Frog 2 and ORB and has snuck into Leap Frogs.... we are working on some improvements to this window which will be integrated in future releases.

Hope this helps,

Peter

Peter Kirkup

That sounds very useful .

as for the sub problem i have now loaded the update on a second desk and found that it is doing the same .

i have now realized that it always jumps back 2 pages so if you are on 2 it will jump to a blank page page 3 it will jump to page 1 and so on.

is this how its meant to work? (dont like it )

many thanks

Mason

Hi Bilderbuch

Once again this is indeed a bug (ZOS-2739) - we've identified what has caused it and are working on a bug fix release to solve this problem. Please bear with us on this one - these two bugs crept in without us noticing.

If you wanted to go back to 4.4.4, please drop me an email and i'll send you over a link to the software.

Thanks,

Peter

Peter Kirkup

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Just arrived at home from the first (very small) show with the new Software.

The bigger close buttons are great, the color and gobo "preview" in the MFK section is nice,

also the improvements in the other parts of the Software.

It was good that I tried this new software release at a show where a JesterML would be the right size of desk,

therefor the failure of the group function was not so bad.

It was impossible to use the groups. Recording to a MFK seems to be fine,

but no chance to select fixtures using the group mfks.

Is this a bug or is there a new way to program groups?

As usual I selected the Fixtures using the Submaster Flash and MFK Buttons.

After that I pressed and hold the MFK Group button for a while until the mfk showed a tag.

The second issue is a small one: The "Chase speed" label from the submaster properties dialog on the display over the wheels

is at a wrong place. The function to change the speed is on the first wheel, the caption over the second.

The third one could also be a problem with my touchscreen (ELO) I'm not shure about that, but

sometimes the close button does not work as it is intended to.

The last two issues are small ones, but the issue with the group function makes it very hard to operate the Desk.

Is there a solution for that?´Thanks in advance

regards

Christian

Hi Christian

As you can see in this topic, we've already identified the Groups thing - this is in progress of being fixed and we will release a new version soon to fix this one.

With regards the label being wrong, again this has been found - reference ZOS-2751.

Lastly, can you explain what happens on the ELO screens when you don't see the correct behaviour - does anything happen? Which model of ELO screen are you using?

Thanks,

Peter

Peter Kirkup

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply, do you know when the problems with the group mfks will be fixed?

Mid of June I would like to use the desk in a show with some LED fixtures and therefor I have to patch something about hundred 3 channel RGB+ one virtual intensity fixtures.

Without the group function the programming of those fixtures makes absolute no fun.

Lastly, can you explain what happens on the ELO screens when you don't see the correct behaviour - does anything happen? Which model of ELO screen are you using?

Of course, sorry for the bad explanation.

The close button don't close the window and nothing happens, no "press the button animation" by clicking on it.

I use a ELO 15" Touch Screen I think this should be the model or order code:

ET1515L-8CEC-1-GY-G

Next time I will be in front of the desk I will connect a mouse to test if it is the monitor or the software.

I do not think it's a calibration issue - I calibrated the monitor three times and during the test after the calibration

it worked fine, also in the corners of the screen and most of the time the button works fine.

regards

Christian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter,

We have a release on its way which will fix the groups bug - this will be another couple of weeks.

Can I easily downgrade to the Version before using the old Software on the usb stick

until the new software is released?

Or are there any issues or procedures I have to take care of during the downgrading process?

I'm used to "play the light live". That means I have some

programmed pallets and subs I work with and not a

preprogrammed "timeline show".

In this case - and especially at some events with less time for programing, no reliable schedule or set list and more

than 100 fixtures (especially the led stuff) I need a proper working group function.

Of course Gobo pictures and colorful screen designs are "nice to have" but the group function

is more or less a thing you have to have.

Kind regards

Christian

Hi Christian

You can go back to versions before 5.0.0, however you might come across a problem during the installation. If your desk fails to boot properly after installing, try the following:

- Boot the USB Installer and select "Install Desk OS". Just as the message "Installing Bootloader." appears (this comes after "Formatting disk."), switch off the desk.

- Switch the desk on again, and boot the USB Installer a second time. Select "Install Desk OS" again but this time let the install complete fully.

- Switch off the desk, remove the USB memory stick, and switch on again. The desk should boot normally.

The root cause of this problem was fixed in version 5.0.0 software, so from version 5.0.0 onwards you don't have to do this to get a bootable desk.

I hope this helps,

Peter

Peter Kirkup

Hey All,

I upgraded our Leap Frog 48 last night to the above software version and have since found

2 issues.

Firstly the group issue discussed above.

Secondly every other time I turn the desk off and back on it does a complete reset and returns

to the Basic/Advanced mode selection screen. The times in between it's fine!?!

Have tried reloading the software, didn't help

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...