Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

importing a strand 520 show

Carwyn

Hi Carwyn

yes, it's possible to import this. You need to first translate the show from SSF to ASCII (ALQ) using the "Show port" utility which is available on the Strand website - http://www.strandlight.com/US/softwares.html

Once you have the show file in ALQ format, copy it onto a USB stick and load it into the desk as normal. It should load fine however there will be a few things you'll need to do -

*Effects wont be programmed

*Chases wont be programmed

*Groups get translated to palettes as best we can, but of course will need updating

The fixtures will be imported as "Fixture Type 1" "Fixture Type 2" etc, as the ALQ format doesnt contain the name of the fixture itself. Use the "Change Type" button in Edit Fixtures to change it to use the internal fixture profile, then repatch the fixture as required.

I hope this helps - let us know how you get on,

Regards,

Peter Kirkup

• 1 month later...

Peter,

Just to further the discusion on this.

I just had the nasty experiance of having to import a strand pallet file that had been converted to an .ALQ into my desk.

The show came in all of the q's were there and even the patching from the old show.

No worries i thought this will be easy to get the show in...... oh how wrong i was!

So i started off by trying to repatch the show and i couldnt get the dimmer channels to show up in the patch window in the same way they normanl do (by selection the flash buttons of the faders) so there fore could not patch them.

When i did finally manage to repatch the channels ( i did this by reasigning the fixtures in the fixture window) the q's claimed to be driving the channels but they did not apear on the stage. but when i brought them up via the number pad or on the faders they did come up on stage?

Now the thing was that some of the channel's in the origanal ALQ file had been taken out as they were not in the show (to enable the designer to only see the channels that are being used) so when imported the channels did not line up on the faders.

The next thing we tryed was to convert the alq into a text file and imort just the q's but that didn't work either.

The things we tried went on for awhile and nothing worked.

The be all and end of of it was we had to just dump the whole thing and start from scratch as if we were starting a new show!

I would be nice to beable to do this as we are a touring house and get alot of shows that are touring with both strand and also ETC desk files.

I have attached the first imported files that i tried to use and will get the origanal ALQ file to you as well (as i stupidly deleted it from my memory stick) in the next day or so.

I await your coments.

Thanks

STEPHEN HAWKER

THEATRE TECHNICAL MANAGER

CASULA

POWERHOUSE

CHANGE

YOUR MIND

W: casulapowerhouse.com

A CULTURAL FACILITY OF LIVERPOOL CITY COUNCIL

Join our mailing list

and ps here is the alq file for you

teuila_focus.isf

teuila_patch.isf

Hi Stephen

Thanks for the post - it looks like importing the show file onto a Leap Frog isn't correctly assigning channels to a 'location' (fader, MFK, etc). As a work-around you can load the show file into a Frog 2 (using Phantom ZerOS) and then load it into the Leap Frog. As the Leap Frog then sees the file as a Frog 2 show file it goes through a different import process and assigns the channels correctly.

This will be fixed in a future build (ZOS-2732), but hopefully the work around will suit you for now.

Kind Regards,

Peter

Peter Kirkup

Hi Stephen

Please find attached the Leap Frog (imported) version of your show file - I hope this will be some help too.

Kind Regards,

Thanks for this it is a little bit of a round about way to do it but having said that if it works then it is better that the current way.

I will try the method for myself and see if it works.

I will also try the file that you have sent me.

It is a retrospective thing as the show has now moved on but as i said it is something that i will get for many shows to come so if i can't convert it properly if i could get you to have a look at the files as they come until the update is sorted it would go a long way to making me use your desk in a muck better way in my situation!

Thanks for your time.