Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Virtual Intensity problems

CBMatt

Can you make a virtual intensity channel on the original Leap Frog? My board won't accept the fixture when this is applied to the fixture parameters.

I'm controlling an LED fixture that doesn't have a seperate dimmer channel. When I create the "dimmer" and click on virtual intensity the board rejects the file. When I uncheck it and resave it she goes in no problem... I'm stummped... I DO have version 10.10 installed.

Just tried this with Fixture Type Editor 2.1.0.0 and Phantom Frog 10.10, and looks to be working OK. Can you post a copy of the fixture personality file that's causing the problem, so we can take a look at it?

Also be careful with filenames - keep them less than 18 characters and avoid spaces in the filename, otherwise the desk might not be able to load them.

Just tried this with Fixture Type Editor 2.1.0.0 and Phantom Frog 10.10, and looks to be working OK. Can you post a copy of the fixture personality file that's causing the problem, so we can take a look at it?

Also be careful with filenames - keep them less than 18 characters and avoid spaces in the filename, otherwise the desk might not be able to load them.

Paul,

Just got to spend more time trying to get the desk to accept the file and it won't. I even tried to put the RGB Dimmer file that you guys created and it won't take it. I can see the file and the fixture type but when I click on "assign" the desk comes back with the message... "Unable to load selected fixture typ"...

I've attached the file that I created with the fixture editor and my show file. I have also loaded my show to the Phantom Frog and it excepts the file but the board won't?????

Even went as far as to load my show to the Ph Frog add the fixture file in there and then resave the show and load it to the desk. The desk will load the show but the RGB's fixture munu on the desk is messed up. The VDimmer didn't show up at all and the text labels Red, Green, & Blue were gone. All that was in those fields were DMX Values.

Just found out something else... If I don't click on Virtual Intensity on the dimmer channel but click on Scale by Virtual Intensity on the RGB channels it works, but, it treats the brightness channel as an actual DMX channel which needs to be addressed... Just printing my findings as I discover them.

Thanks for any resolution you can give. Can't wait to use this feature the way it was intended!!

Matt

Your fixture personality and showfile load OK here, both on Phantom and on a real desk. It may be that your floppy disk is faulty, or the drive (either in your PC or in the Leapfrog) is faulty.

Try a new disk and/or formatting the disk in the desk before putting the files on it on your PC. If a number of different disks all fail, then try using a different PC to write the disks. If you still have no joy then unfortunately it may be that the drive in your desk is faulty. If your desk is still within it's 3 year warranty period then contact your dealer or call Keith in our service department to arrange a repair. If it's out of warranty and you're handy with a screwdriver, then it's actually a standard drive you can easily replace yourself.

Your comment about the Fixture Type Editor not warning about inconsistent Virtual Channel information has been noted - issue reference ZOS-2560.

I put in a brand new floppy drive... ??? My show is backed up on 4 seperate brand new disks...???

Enough with the Floppy issue... I know it's fine!!

There is something going on with the Virtual intensity thing. This all started when I introduced that feature to the desk. Has the mother board been updated since January of 2005? That is the date on my console. You said everything worked fine at your shop. If that is a fact then I shouldn't be having these issues. I did finally get it to work...sort of.

I had to install all of my fixtures that I created with the fixture editor to the CFT file on the board. When I installed the LED fixture with the virtual intensity to the CFT file I got the error code when the show was loading. I then took the LED fixture off the CFT file and the show loaded fine. I can assign the LED fixture to the fixture menu, patch it and it works fine.

Something is going on... I just can't have the board crash on the road. This feature is a life saver I just wish I new why it wasn't working with the already programmed show. It seems as though it would be fine if I started from scratch but I have way too many hours into this show to do that!!

Just looking for a solution.

Matt

We've done some further investigation into this, and it seems the loading problem for fixtures with virtual channels only occurs when trying to load the fixture at a channel number >255. Hence for a low numbered fixture you wouldn't see the problem, but for a high numbered fixture in a large(ish) patch you would. That explains why we hadn't seen the problem so far in testing.

Frog Reference 5597 - Virtual Intensity channels don't load at channel numbers >255.

We have released a beta test version of the Frog range software which corrects this problem, CLICK HERE.

Edit 16 April 2009 - Version 10.12 which fixes this problem is now publicly available.

The problem also exists in JesterML/TL software up to and including version 2.3 - issue reference JES-2561.

Thanks for spotting this, let us know if the beta version solves the problem for you.

Paul.

• 2 months later...