Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Lighting newbie: Jester ML24 for controlling LED lights

Thomas Worrall

Hi. I'm quite new to lighting, and am after some advice. I am involved in an amateur theatre group. Currently we have access to a desk like this:

36fa_1.JPG

We use it to control 8 lights via two dimmer racks. We don't use any scene memory, just set up our next cue on the other fader bank and then fade between them.

I'm currently considering purchasing a Jester 24ML and some of these lights.

The lights can change colour, and take four channels input (brightness and three colours). But I don't want them to take up four faders each, or there wouldn't be enough. Can I somehow have the colour parameters accessible through a menu or something, so that I can have a colour setting on any recorded cues, and then just have the faders used as brightness?

Please forgive me if the question is stupid. I'm still learning about how more complicated desks work. Since the lights have the ability to change their colour, it seems like we should be able to utilise it during the show -- but giving up four faders per light seems inefficient.

Thanks,

Thomas

Hi Thomas

What you've described is exactly what the Jester ML24 does - the generic dimmers are located on faders, and the 'fixtures' (anything more complicated than a single DMX channel) are located on the 'multi function keys'. These keys function as fixture selection keys, and also as colour selection, together with the control wheels. Press FIXTURES, select the ones you want to work with, then press COLOUR and select the colour you want (either using the keys, or using the control wheels). These changes can then be programmed into a Memory or a Submaster as required.

I hope this helps to clear things up for you - please do let us know if you have any more questions,

Regards,

Peter

Peter Kirkup