Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

R2 Hardware?

Neil Hampson

I am looking at a second hand Jester 24/48 from someone at the Blueroom, however I don't know what the hardware version is without having the guy boot up the desk and check. When was the R2 hardware introduced? I think this is going to be more important as features such as the Keyboard support are not available on R1 Hardware.

Is it possible to upgrade the R1 to R2 with a simple Eprom change, or is this a whole new chipset/pcb. Would an upgrade be possible?

The Jester switched over to the r2 processor board in May 2008. There are no external visible differences - the only sure way to check is to switch on the desk and look at the version number in Super User. r1 or r2 will be shown. If neither is shown, it will be r1 running older software.

We do an upgrade kit (order code 1175099) which is a replacement processor PCB and LCD PCB - contact your nearest Zero 88 dealer for pricing on this.

• 4 months later...

I just fitted an old jester 24 with the new version R2. everything works but there is a problem with the LCD (vga output works fine)

the info in the LCD keeps on moving and blinking. I re-checked the ribbon cable and the new LCD subboard. There are no bend or short pins.

I cleared the desk and memory and reloaded the firmware 3.2 but the problem stays.

What kan be the cause?

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I just fitted an old jester 24 with the new version R2. everything seems to work but there is a problem with the LCD (vga output works fine)

the info in the LCD keeps on moving and blinking. I re-checked the ribbon cable and the new LCD subboard. There are no bend or short pins.

I cleared the desk and memory and reloaded the firmware 3.2 but the problem stays.

What kan be the cause?

thanks

If the LCD display is unstable, this sounds like there is a problem with the address lines between the processor board and the LCD board. Most likely it's a component or soldering fault on the LCD board, but it could also be a faulty ribbon cable or a fault on the processor board. Either way, get in touch with the dealer you bought the upgrade kit from to arrange it's return for replacement or repair.