Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Lighting Control Terminology

brianstorm

Hi,

I'm a new user and I'm wondering if anyone can explain the different uses of scenes vs memories, vs programming straight onto submasters?

The manual mentions scenes and memories, but as a novice i'm not sure what they for.

And any useful shortcuts / tips would be great too!

thnaks

Brian

Memories are used when you're running the same show, night after night, and you want to pre-program the lot and just run through it using the Go button. A memory can be a static look (scene), or a chase (useful for effects).

Submasters are used when you're not sure what might be coming up next in a live show, and you want lots of different looks available so you can mix & match (busk) live.

For some general lighting background and terminology explanation, have a look at the Blue Room Wiki, particularly Lighting Desk Features.

• 11 months later...

Hi!

I'm from Switzerland so I don't speak your language very well.

I sometimes use a BullFrog with the theatrical company of my high school (I'm 16).

Well, 'cause the teather isn't public I can't learn to use the BullFrog better and learn more functionalities of it (to do a better "lightning set" next year) directly on the desk.

So, I downloaded the manual and the Phantom Frog program, but there are still some things I don't understand reading the manual and remembering what the director of the teather told me in May when he explained to me the most basic features of the lightning desk.

Especially I can't understand what functions are related on these terms:

- what's the LTP fade time?

- what means "dwell" on the Frog?

- idem for "trigger"...

- what is a chase and which function control the "Drive", "Direction" and "Attack" buttons?

Well, reading the post upper I understand that if I have to program a set of lights (a scene) with fading times and names, I can put it into a memory and, using the Playback X function, put it on (button GO; Pause and Override, or Step if something changes in the order of playing). Otherwise, if I want a complete manual control I can use the Submasters.

It's correct to say that it isn't useful to use a CHASE memory if the theater hasn't DMX lights? I think that 'cause the fixtures control (moving lights and others DMX llights) aren't enabled in the theater where i usually work.

Excuse me for the very very very bad English and big greetings.

Isaac