Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Duplicate DMX patching

MGG

You can patch one desk channel to multiple (up to 10) DMX channels. Hit the INSERT key when on the manual patch screen in Super User.

Is this what you were after? Didn't quite understand how this would give more space for "intelligent" scenes on a sub page :? Are you asking for the ability to transfer multiple memories onto a single submaster?

Hi,

As Paul correctly said, each generic channel may be patched to a maximum of 10 different DMX addresses. The term we use for these additional patch addresses is duplicates - for further details see the Frog Series Operating Manual (Issue 2) page 6-7

Cheers, k-nine.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi everyone,

I realised yesterday that (unless I have missed something :? ) it is not possible to patch more than one DMX channel to a desk channel. This issue arose when I wanted to pair dimmer channels on the desk.

I was unable to run the conventional fixtures from the same dimmer channel due to location and power loading. I was unable to change the DMX address on the dimmers as the dimmers we were using could only have the DMX start address set per six channels and there were fixtures on the same dimmer pack that I didn't want to be paired. We were running out of desk channels so this would of been a useful facility.

I'm pretty sure it was possible to do this on the Sirius desks so I was surprised to realise that it isn't possible on the Frog range.

John Huson

Lighting Manager

Pearce Hire

http://www.pearcehire.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi @ll,

Can I patch more than one DMX Channel to FROG Preset Channel ?

I missed that function very badly because I have more PAR Devices than

Channals on Desk in Wide Mode ...

Greez

Sebastian

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

Each generic channel on the frog series desks may be patched to a maximum of ten different DMX addresses.

The additional instance of a generic channel is called a duplicate.

Duplicates are patched via the manual patch screen which can be found in Super User under

Desk Setup - Patch Functions - Manual Patch.

See the frog series operating manual - page 6-7 for further details.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

Thank´s K-Nine,

I should read this manual more carfully than I did before.

Desk works fine !

Best regards

Sebastian

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

• 3 years later...

I'm trying to keep myself down to 24 channels for generics, but I want to pull just over 24kW for them (29 lights in all)... I have 3x 24 channel 10i racks, running off seperate 100A supplies. Alas, my current requirements are about 105A in total, so it looks like I'm going to have to split the load across two dimmers (wouldn't want a fuse going in the supply mid-show when too many sliders are accidentally shoved up!)... When playing with softpatching on my Bullfrog, I can only patch channels in the blocks of 24... So, is there an easy way to pair channels from seperate dimmers to the same channel on the desk? Or would I be best off just setting both dimmers to the same DMX addresses? Will they react nicely to that? Might they get annoyed?

Cheers!

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi, recently received our Fat Frog lighting desk, and I was simply wondering how to create a subchannel, so for example 23.1. I feel fairly confident in using the board, but I am not all that sure on creating a subchannel.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

If by "subchannel" you mean patch a duplicate DMX address to a channel, then this can be done in Super User -> Desk Setup -> Patch Functions -> Manual Patch. Press the INSERT button to add another DMX address to a channel. Up to 100 DMX addresses can be patched to a channel (version 10.8 software onwards).

• 1 month later...

Assign 2 DMX values to one channel

Is this possible and if so how? I need to assign two DMX values to one channel on the desk. So for instance, channel 1 on the desk will output the same value to DMX 1 & 2.

In patch I can change channel 1 to output to a different DMX address easily, but only one address. Basically I want one channel fader to operate 2 dimmers.

Regards

Hi,

In Manual Patch, select the channel you wish to repatch, then press Insert. This will create a duplicate, labelled {channel} + 1 - you can have upto 99 of these duplicates on any channel. Once you've got the duplicate, just patch it as normal.

Hope this helps,

Peter

Peter Kirkup

• 6 months later...

This is my first day with the Frog and after reading the instructions I can not for the life of me figure out how to assign say, dimmer 20 to fader 1. We have like 48- 2 channel dimmers, an AC-100 aux controller and a Frog console. I know this is a basic concept that I am not understanding. Can anyone help please?

Thanks,

Bob