Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Beta Pack 1

I'm currently working for a hire company as a maintenance tech, and have a betapack 1 which is having a few problems.

I'm gussing the cause was probably a power surge as the transformer and voltage regulator where both blown, as far as i know the last time this was use it was hooked up to a generator..

after repairing these two problems the unit turns on (Power light goes on and 23v comes out the transformer),

the problem now is that it doesn't turn the lights on, i checked a the triac cards and they all preform fine when i wire them into the test bed. two of them did have blown opto-iso's though.

after hooking an oscillisope up to the outputs of the main board no matter what level i set it too dimm it was just a +/-15V noisy sine wave at 50hz (mains in my area), on all channels.

does anyone have a cuircuit diagram of the main board which could be sent to me? or else does anyone know which component is blown up? as far as i can tell the rectifier after the transformer works. but with out a circuit diagram i can't be sure.

as far as i know the last time this was use it was hooked up to a generator.

chears,

Duncan

ok just spend more time on it and found that there was a broken track at the transformer, this eliminated the +/-15 volts on the outputs to the triac cards. they are now stuck at 20V on the red and 10v on the yellow. i checked the control pins ( where the cables from the test and anolouge in connect) and these work as expected.

this problem effects all of the dimmer channel,

from looking at the circuit i can see that phase 1 powers the entire board, phase 2&3 have they're phases "sampled" and this is used to offset the pulses in the output.

as seen as the channels are split into groups of 2, and the only thing any of these have in common is the cuircuit being powered by phase 1, my only guess is that there is something wrong with the power cuircuit somewhere?

it seems unlikely that 3 compenents blew up at the same time.