Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Zero 88 Fat Frog Colour & Gobo's

oliver821570

Hi, Im 15 and have had around 3 years of lighting experiance. Our school recently installed a new lighting, sound, and audio system in our hall ( £30,000 ) as we was using a system for 1994! But i have had alot of experiance, so it wasnt a leap into new technology, and i am eager to create some new light shows! Our system consists of Two Robe Club Spot 250's , And Two robe Club Wash 250's. We Are Using The Zero 88 Fat Frog Controller, And are using three Zero 88 Betapack 3 Dimmer Racks. But enough of all that, all i want to know is, say i have a blue spot, but i suddenly wish it to change to red, how can i get it instant, insted of it having to scroll???!! It looks very cheesy like disco lights if say u have a colour, and your next colour is 6 colours away! so i wish to know how to get this to instant change, aswell as gobo's? This would be a great help! I used to program onto memories and transfere with no time to submasters, however i recently discoverd you can program directly onto submasters by changing the mode to Submasters insted of Memmories! Very Usefull! Just like to say, I love the Fat Frog lighting contoller, it makes my shows and gigs so much more easier! Thankyou, :rolleyes:

Oliver Wilkinson

Wilkinson Events & Entertainment

wilkinson_event_managment@yahoo.co.uk

FAX: 01253 821597

Please feel free to PM or email me.

Hi Oliver

Try the Colour column on the Main LCD (or Monitor)... labelled C on the monitor. Change it from F (for Fade) to S (for Snap) and Colour will Snap. Same for Beamshape and Position. The Fade Time for these attributes is the LTP Fade.

Of course you will still be limited by the time which the fixture takes to physically turn the colour wheel, even if the desk is ordering an instant transition. To avoid seeing the colours in between flash by quickly, choose your colour transitions to occur between colours which are next to each other on that particular fixture's colour wheel. Modern fixtures are pretty quick, but it's inevitable you'll still see something.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Peter Kirkup

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ollie

Each fixture is different in their design, my guess would be that your fixture has a fixed colour wheel, so in order to change the colour from one to another it has to move through several others - think of it like a trivial persuit cheese.

In a fixture like the Mac 2000, they have 3 'blades' of colour (usually Cyan, Magenta and Yellow) which can be moved individually, giving you a smooth crossfade between any two colours. The more advanced the fixture, the more option you get for things like this - a Spot 250 is a pretty basic fixture in these terms.

I hope this helps,

Peter

Peter Kirkup

I have a very vague memory that you can shut the shutter between changes, though I don't remember how or if it was the board or the fixture. About the colour-blending, my guess is that if it can be done, your best shot is the washes. We have two rather cheap spots and one rather cheap wash and the wash can do it, but not the spots. Just make sure it's correctly patched and assigned and the right mode, or you might get the wrong/fewer options. Or, look at the manual to the lamp (usually the best way).