Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Non-Dim

LT

I'm probably missing something obvious here. We have just taken delivery of a Leap Frog and are looking for a feature similar to 'Non-Dim' on the Strand GSX we are replacing. The 'Non-Dim' feature effectively makes the fader an on/off switch and therefore only triggers when at 100%. We often used this feature in the theatre for 'practicals' such as table lamps etc in stage plays.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi LT,

there is no "Non dim" function in the Frog series. If you have enough fixture buttons spare, write your own ONE Channel fixture or choose a scroller, but be aware to put the DIM as LTP. Assign it as fixture and program it as memory or "Live Data". Transfer to the Sub you want and set a 100% LTP Trigger to the Sub. Don´t forget to set the LTP (Color,Beamshape or Position) on SNAP!!!

A little bit tricky but here you are.... :wink:

cheers

Sven

Sven Paulsen

Klangfarbe Vienna

there is no "Non dim" function in the Frog series. If you have enough fixture buttons spare, write your own ONE Channel fixture or choose a scroller, but be aware to put the DIM as LTP. Assign it as fixture and program it as memory or "Live Data". Transfere to the Sub you want and set a 100% LTP Trigger to the Sub. Don´t forget to set the LTP (Color,Beamshape or Position) on SNAP!!!

A little bit tricky but here you are.... :wink:

seemed to be a little complicated :? but a good idea.

Most dimmers like Zero88 spice, have a non-dim function called switch.

put your propertylamps chan to switch and it will not be dimmed any more. Sometimes it is possible to to set up the switch parameters.

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

• 4 months later...

You can usually set the law on your dimmer or demux to be "switch" to achieve this. This is the safest way of doing it, since if anyone comes in and loads another show on your desk, they won't kill your undimmable equipment.

For further discussion on the possibility of implementing dimmer type features (preheat, topset, laws) on the frog series, CLICK HERE.

Frog Reference 5418 - Dimmer Laws

Hmmm I ran into the same problem, had some things on theaterdimmers which shouldn't be dimmed. We're only packing our desk, so no own dimmers!

An option in the superuser to set a channel to switch would indeed be a nice option maybe for Frog 2 desks; when raised above a certain trigger level (like the subs) the channel is FF, otherwise 00.

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

I am not sure that this will always solve your problem. Even if the desk snaps to full not all dimmers are going to cope with this. I know some dimmers won't run a strobe properly even if you program them to snap to full. As Paul says the only proper way to get non dim is to use the dimmer curves to do this. Even then I am sure I would run some things on them.

Graham

• 6 months later...

after finding out its very hard to setup a channel on the frog to be 'switchable' I'd suggest a function for that which would allow it to be easily done. it may require quite a lot of code I don't know, but if you can set a channel to switchable from the patch or superuser system that'd be great.

at least a fixture that'd allow on/off switching only would be good (or one that controls 6 channels and allows 6 on-off switches) as it wouldn't use too many fixture slots then.

thanks,

Ben

hi,

i asked about it in the other zero88 products section of the board, and the general consensus was that there isn't a good way to do it, I spoke to Keith and the only way to do it really would need 2 submasters per channel you'd want to control :o

hopefully this is something that can be sorted out so it works :) useful :)

We've got chilli dimmers, and according to the manual:

There are 2 laws available : Normal and Switch.

So 'switch' I presume turns the channel into an 'on/off' function? Could anyone explain what the laws do exactly? The above quote is all the manual really has to say on the subject.

sp

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I searched through the "requests" and did not see this so I thought I'd start a new request. If this has been discussed...my apologies.

It would be extremely helpful (for me at least) to have a "park" function somewhere in Super User. I have several DMX-relays that I trigger on at the start of the day and trigger off at the end of the day. Currently, the only way I have found to do this is to patch them all to a desk-channel and put the fader at full in both A/B presets and tape them down. However, if someone wants to do a blackout, use the "solo" button, whatever, they turns these off.

I would be nice to (maybe in the patch) specify to park a dimmer at a certain level (for me, just 0 or FL...but a percentage might be nice.

Thanks...

Jon

Seconded, its a nightmare when you are forced to control something like moving light power through the dimmer (power on or off mode of course- can't think of the proper name atm!!) because there are no inderpendant type sockets available and you are controlling it through the desk, everytime the GM comes down or there is a fade its a complete nightmare because all your fixtures re-strike etc!!

I had to try and plot a show like this on a pearl and it was the worst plotting session I have ever had!! Result- fly the bars in with the ML's on run a 13amp plug with 13-15-16 convertor on and plug back in then reprogram all the dodgy q's!!

Sam

PS- Some dimmer racks are clever though and have this function on them!

Agreed...however, for my situation, I'm using Coemar Panorama 1800's for "house lights" and in order to keep them struck, I have to have the fourth channel high. It's not like most movers where you send the command to one level for strike and can release it. It truly sucks...but it's what I have to do.

• 4 weeks later...

Regarding controlling power relays and having them NOT subject to Blackout/GM/Solo, you can simply create a fixture personality which controls these channels as LTP.

Regarding holding a fixture channel at a known value, I think if you create a fixture personality which includes the channel in the fixture definition, but not in the wheel group information, then it will be fixed at it's home value and not be editable. Maybe someone more proficient than I with the Fixture Type Editor can tell us more, or try this out and let us know if it works...

Sam.Handerson is refering to the switch function of some dimmers...

As Paul suggested I created a fixturefile with different beamshape functions for relays. It can be found HERE

be careful using it when programming in full mode ! Its possible that the LTP values turn to 0 when a scene with relays off was programmed by accident.

for any questions you can PM me or write a direct post in here.

regards.

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

no dimmers with non dim circuts are not meant for powering ml's

do not do it it is not to be used for this purpose due to unexpected drops and different frequencies of power and such do not use it ever with moving lights whats better renting or making or purchsing a power drop and distribution or buying all new ML's when you have a odd power glitch that screws them up ask any manufacturer of dimmers. none of them would ever tell you you can put moving lights on them its just to risky. any way what situation should you be in to do that if you cant afford proper distribution dont bother using ML's because a small mistake can cost you dearly.

Jon Hirsh