Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

JesterML DMX input

bob

The Jester connects to the JesterML's DMX-Input, so that the preset channels from the Jester are HTP mixed and can be recorded on the JesterML.

JesterML-DMXin.JPG

Editing is easier on the JesterML24 since in Program Mode, the local faders work on a grab principle rather than HTP mix, so you can grab the stored levels and bring them down. You also get the feedback from the LEDs in the channel flash buttons to indicate which faders are and aren't grabbed.

The other main advantage of the JesterML24 is that you get 2 pages of 12 submasters, although we are looking in a future software update to allow the faders on a Jester connected to the DMX-Input, to act in Run Mode as the submaster faders that aren't there on a JesterML (JES-1896).

Thanks. I'll use that information as I'm investigating my options for a board replacement.

Today I've got a 2 scene 36 channel w/24 subs (pre DMX) for conventionals and Horizon Gold running my (few) movers and a spare DMX dimmer. The desire is a single desk (or one that looks much like a single desk to run the whole works. 24 faders of the JesterML24 is a bit shy. 24/48 in wide mode would work (i.e. JesterML + Jester 24/48 for example). Of course it's all got to be very 'cost effective' to get it past the budget folks.

• 1 month later...

You can plug it in that way round, but it's not the best way to do it. The Jester 24/48 records all the LTP channels (moving light parameters) and will snap them onto the outputs when the memory/submaster is replayed. HTP channels (determined by looking at the DMX patch) are mixed HTP with the presets on the desk, and so can be faded when replaying. You won't be able to record fades for LTP channels or movement effects.

On the JesterML(24), the rules for recording DMX-In are as follows:

Generic Channels: Mixed HTP with the presets on the desk, so can be faded when replaying.

Fixture Channels (HTP+LTP): Ignored.

Unpatched Channels: Recorded, and snapped LTP when replaying.

The Generic Channels can be faded on replaying, the Unpatched channels are snapped onto the outputs when a memory/submaster is replayed. Because Fixture Channels are not recorded, it is recommended that when using the JesterML(24) as a backup desk, that no fixtures be patched.

• 4 months later...

Channels from the DMX Input are treated in 3 ways according to the DMX patch:

- Patched generic channels - HTP mixed with the brightness sources on the desk, and replayed with fade times.

- Patched auxiliaries (Jester) or Patched fixture channels (JesterML) - not recorded or replayed.

- Unpatched channels - passed through from DMX Input to DMX Output, and snapped onto the outputs when replaying (only when DMX Input is no longer present).

If more than one DMX address is specified for a generic channel, then only the first address is used to get a level for that channel from the DMX Input.

To be honest this doesn't seem the best way to do it.

I have hired a ML24 for a week and need 28 generic channels it seems a shame to waste 4 fixtures for these it would be easier for me if it treated the external channels in the same way as the internal generic channels when it comes to fade times.

Can I ask why it is done that way?

Josh

Hi Josh,

If you upgrade the ML24 to Version 2.0 software then you will get 48 generic channels (generic channels which don't have physical faders on the desk can be controlled from the DMX Input), which can be recorded with fade times. The functionality has been significantly improved in this area - please read the release notes for details.

Paul.

• 4 weeks later...

The faders on the JesterML are always channels 1-24, so if you wanted a total of 48 channels, you'd have to use the XLS for channels 25-48.

The XLS isn't an ideal choice for a desk to use with the JesterML series, since the XLS doesn't have a wide mode where the bottom bank of faders can control different DMX channels to the top bank. But you can get by, it's just that the fader layout will be a bit odd.