Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Need Urgent Suppot About Fat Frog‏???

SELSHAZLY

here is a copy of the email that i try to send to Keith Rogers and an automatic reply was returnd

saying that he would not be at his desk till next tuesday 9 ?:

Dear Keith Rogers :

i like to inform you that firstly i am a technician at Media International Trading Co in Egypt in the Technical Support Section

and we have received recently a Fat Frog for one of our customers and every thing was ok till my customer lately

decide to develop his work by increasing the number of par cans he is connecting to his fat frog from 48 par to 100 par

and he wants to control them individually and since i know that the fat frog can only control 48 dimmer channel and 288

fixture channel , i was thinking to control the new attached par's which the customer need to add (from 49 to 100)

through the 288 fixture channel , in other words i ask if it is possible to patch the 288 fixture channel to the added par cans

and control them through the fixture section and if i would still be able to control them also through the 48 channel faders

i know that the fat frog have 1 universe 1 output as mentioned in the manual but our fat frog has 2 universe A and B

and he tries to connect his dimmers to each of them and both are working but still we are in the range of controlling

channels from 1 to 48 and we need to control the added pars from 49 to 100 , i am sure that we have the fat frog

and not the Leap or the Bull frog .

if you have any alternative suggestion please don't hesitate to feed us back ...

thanks for care

Regards :

Sameh Elshazly

Technical Support

Media international trading co.

Egypt .

http://www.media-egypt.com/

and as i read across the forum i understand that i could use the conventional fixture at the fixture

library and use it to assign my 49-100 added par cans and patch them to the conventional fixture

that i would load it from a disk to my fixture library , but my question here is could i still control

those new pars (49-100) through the fader persets or only i could control them through the 4 wheels

or i would able to control the new pars from both the faders and the wheels at the same time ?

i am waiting for your response as soon and thanx for your efforts .

Regards :

S.E.

Assigning the extra parcans as fixtures, you would only be able to control parcans 49-100 from the 3 wheels and not from the 48 preset faders.

On the Fat Frog there are only 12 fixtures, which is not enough for 52 parcans. You can get round this by creating a fixture personality which controls say 5 or 6 parcans per fixture, however because the Fat Frog only supports 1 brightness channel per fixture, you would be controlling the parcans using LTP channels such as Colour or Beamshape. This makes programming and operation a bit more tricky but it can be done.

An easier option might be to use the DMX Patch function on the desk, to group together multiple parcans onto the preset faders.

thanx Paul for your response , and what i was understand that now i have to leave the first 48 par can

as they are and control them through the 48 faders Persert andno problem with that

but about the added 52 par i would first configure the manual patch to start the fixture number 1

form channel 49 and ffixture 2 from channel channel 72(49+24) and the 3rd fixture as 96 and so on...

till i finish patching the 12 fixture and then assign a fixture from the fixture library which

could have 5 or 6 channels and assign it to fixture 1 and 2 ....till 12 so i could have all the 52 parcan

distriubuted among these 12 fixtures but here i would have to control these pars only through the

4 wheels and i would able to use 1 brightness for each ofthe 12 which is HTP while when controlling

the other pars assigned through the colour or beam attributes it would be LTP ..

i hope that i understand your point of view well as i explained here .

i like to drop your attention about my customer ,he just want to control every par of these 100 par

individually and not in groups and i know that duplicating is much better as you mentioned but

he doesn't like this idea at all (he is not a professional in this field ) and i guess he would only

control all of these 100 par manually without programing any memories or chases or cues so i guess

that the first option would be suitable for him if i understand it right , ijust like to be sure that it

will works before i try it with his console ..

Regards:

S.E.

You need to assign fixtures before you can patch them to the DMX. Assuming you created a fixture to control 6 parcans (a handy multiple since they often come on bars of 6), your assignment and patch would be:

Fixture 1: 6parcans @ DMX 49

Fixture 2: 6parcans @ DMX 55

Fixture 3: 6parcans @ DMX 61

Fixture 4: 6parcans @ DMX 67

Fixture 5: 6parcans @ DMX 73

Fixture 6: 6parcans @ DMX 79

Fixture 7: 6parcans @ DMX 85

Fixture 8: 6parcans @ DMX 91

Fixture 9: 6parcans @ DMX 97

Giving a total of 54 extra parcans.