Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Jester DMX input

benweblight

Yes, the DMX Input will be recieved as the full universe and any channels that are not patched on the Jester will be output as they were recieved.

When in Program Mode, any incomming DMX is stored onto the Memory or Submaster at the time of programming. When these Memories or Submasters (indicated with a +) are output with no DMX-input present, the incomming DMX values at the time of programming are output. When an incomming DMX feed is present, it overrides the output from Memories or Subs.

Hope this helps.

Peter Kirkup

• 6 months later...
When in Program Mode, any incomming DMX is stored onto the Memory or Submaster at the time of programming. When these Memories or Submasters (indicated with a +) are output with no DMX-input present, the incomming DMX values at the time of programming are output. When an incomming DMX feed is present, it overrides the output from Memories or Subs.

I would have loved to have known this 4 hours ago...would have saved alot of hassle.

Is there a chance this can go in the next manual? As i've never run 2 desks together until today its something ive never come across.

Steve

• 10 months later...

Hi

I was playing with a new Jester (12/24) today and I noticed some odd behaviour - I had plugged a Bullfrog into the DMX in, and was trying to capture data from the DMX In onto the Submasters on the Jester.

If I set a scene on the Bullfrog, and program it onto a Submaster on the Jester, when I bring the submaster up there is no fade - the lights only snap up, and when I take the submaster down again they remain latched, until I bring another programmed submaster up in its place, upon which they snap out.

Is this normal behaviour? I was hoping that the Jester would prove a useful way to busk shows without using the Bullfrog, if I programmed scenes wider than the 24 channels of the Jester into the submasters - but this unusual 'snap & latching' action has thrown a bit of a spanner into the works.

Thanks, Tom

Hi Tom

The Jester 12/24 can only crossfade 24 channels, due to hardware limitations. Any other channels will be mixed LTP and latched as you describe. So the desk will work fine as a backup, but not as a replacement for the larger desk.

Our new Jester TL and TLXtra desks can crossfade upto 200 dimmer channels, so this may be a more appropriate choice for your needs.

I hope this clears things up,

Regards,

Peter

Peter Kirkup

• 6 years later...

I experienced a problem recently with DMX in. I attached a second desk (Chauvet Obey 70) to my Jester 24/48 and saved a number of cues taking the colour and position of movers from the second desk, but with intensity patched to the Jester (to get a timed fade). When I removed the second desk and checked in Program the cues replayed as expected, but when I replayed the same cues in Run the movers reverted to their home setting. I went back to Program and they came out as programmed. In desperation I re-attached the second desk and ran the LTP parameters from that desk which worked OK, but does anyone have any ideas why the output in Run differed from that in Program?