Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Floppy Drive Problem

Pinspot

I am having a problem with the floppy drive on my Fatfrog. I loaded some personalizes from a floppy disk the other day with no problems. The next day I wanted to load some more personalizes so I reinserted the same disc and the floppy drive said there was no disk in the driver. I got a new floppy disk and try writing the show I had on the board and it said no disk. I took the new disk out and formatted it on my computer and then reinserted it and got a no disk error again. I try formatting the new disk on the board and got a formatting error. I try taken some old shows and loading them on the board and again I got a no disk error. These old shows I have loaded in the pass so I know that they work. I also try turning the board on and off a few times to see if the floppy drive would reset. At this point Im not sure what to do and I have never had a problem like this before.

Thanks,

Peter

If you've tried new disks to no avail, and convinced yourself that the problem is with the drive, then get the desk back to the dealer you bought it from or to us, to get the problem looked at. Alternatively if the desk is out of warranty and you fancy having a go yourself, open the desk and check both cables to the disk drive are securely connected. Try swapping the drive for a known good one - borrowed from an old PC perhaps. Disk drives are mechanical things full of cogs and motors and springs and other such stuff which is prone to general wear and tear. You might also want to try cleaning the heads on the drive too, although the cost of a kit to do this might not be far off that of a new drive.

I would imagine most cleaning kits require you to do something to make the disk turn so that the heads can be cleaned (although do read the instructions with the kit first!). The instructions with the kit may well make reference to DOS or Windows instructions to do this, but on a Fat Frog yes, Load Show is probably the best thing to do to make the disk turn.

Exactly the same thing as happened pinspot on top is happening to me. The difference is my desk is brand new....

I just unpacked it this afternoon and cant load any fixtures from the floppy. I did all the things outlined above but no joy.

I have robe xt 250s. I guess from the replies above that I'll have to send it back but I've two gigs this weekend that i need it for.

Does anyone know if I can use any of the internal profiles for my robes for the weekend?

HELP.........................