Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Storing an Effect and Offsets ?

TomJohnson

Hi there this is really starting to bug me - it may just be that i am spoilt with hogs and avo's most of the time but here goes.....basically what i want to achieve on some scanners is to create an effect on all eight scanners that goes between two colour wheel values (blue and magenta that conveniently are situated next to each other on the wheel) unfortunatley they are Martin MX-4 scanners!!! is it possible to create this effect and store it somewhere like a pallet but just the colour wheel values so that the effect can be used and called up in the same way as a static colour from a pallet????

Also is it then possible to offset the effect so that each fixture does the effect at slightly different intervals - ie they dont all change between blue and magenta at the same time, but a bit more randomly???

cheers i would appreciate any help

:-)

Hi Tom

The effects generator on the Frog range (excluding Frog2) only extends as far as the Position of a fixture. Your only option for chaisng between two distinct colours would be to create a chase which affects the colour of a fixture. Note that you'll want to set the Colour drive to Snap in this situation.

If you need to run this on a submaster, you'll need to first create it in a memory stack and then transfer it onwards to a submaster.

I hope this helps

Peter

Peter Kirkup

ok so if i wanted to use this effect at a number of different times what do i do???? just tag and store the colour values to a memory cue and then the submaster and then set the position of my movers as desired and run the submaster? can i then hit record cue and it will have recorded the colour chase and the position (as long as both were tagged????)

Also is there any way to offset the chase between fixtures???

cheers :-)

Tom, firstly i'll do the salesy bit... everything you're asking would be a lot lot lot easier on a Frog 2, whch is designed to work and be familiar to users of Pearl and GrandMA.

Each memory or submaster on the Frog range (excluding the Frog2, which uses different operating software and a different syntax) can only be defnied as either a Scene or a Chase. As such, if you want to run a chase, you need to program everything about that chase into the particular memory.

To run simultaneous chases the only option is to use submasters - program a colour chase and transfer it to one submaster, then program a position chase and transfer it to another. Having said that, you could program a chase which includes a position effect (using the second and third Position wheelgroups) and the colour changes.

As far as offsets are concerned, you'll have to program the chase taking into account to offset (that is to say, program step one with half of the fixtures in red, half in green, then step two alternating). Again, this would be much easier on the Frog2 where you can offset any effect with just a simple wheel movement.

Peter Kirkup

ok thanks peter i'll bear that in mind - this show is only in a school (with a very nice rig i must say) and just trying to get out of habits from avo, hog and grand ma.

appreciate your help anyhow

ill deffinately look into the frog 2 - looks really simple and great value for money!!!

cheers