Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Fixtures on Frog?

C.D.Osland

Maybe I'm just being greedy, as I know the Frog desk doesn't support fixtures, just 48 generics, but the VGA output has 12 fixture brightnesses on display, and Assign Fixtures works fine for 12 fixtures!

I have two "moving lights" (*) for which I've used the Fixture Editor to set up fixture definitions and would love to be able to use them on my raw Frog desk. Serendipity says "Hey, there are 12 submasters with 20 layers on them - wouldn't it be great if you could 'sacrifice' layer 20 and use the faders to control the fixtures."

Just a thought!

Chris

(*) The moving lights are actually add-ons for profiles that have analogue (0-+10V) control of pan, tilt and cylindrical gel holder. I have a DMX to analogue Demux unit, so the analogue is not a problem.

Can you PM me the serial number that your desk reports in Super User -> Desk Information, and also the serial number printed on the rear of the desk? Those menus should not be there on a normal Frog, I suspect your desk has the wrong serial number coded into it...

Thanks for the PM. Your desk, for whatever reason, has the serial number of a Fat Frog. Hence all the moving light features will appear in the menus and on the screens, even though you've not actually got any physical front panel controls for them.

This won't do you any harm, but it might be a bit confusing. You will be able to record moving light effects with Phantom Frog (Fat Frog mode) and replay them on your desk, but you won't be able to edit them on the desk itself.

So you've got some *free* moving light functionality on the desk, but probably not enough to be useful! Your idea about using submasters to control moving lights, although intriguing, is unlikely to happen for numerous commercial and technical reasons.