Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Position Palette names lost

JCF SECC

I recently encountered a bug in which when scrolling down my memories the entire screen changed. Each memory name on the screen read the title of one of my other memories. All of the numbering on the left hand side turned to --. The fade times did the same. The screen's background also changed to a yellow color. If I scroll back up past a certain memory everything returned to normal. It wasn't possible to enter threw the last cue and return to the beginning of the list either. Memories 1-18 I think weren't available without this happening! Luckily, the next day I turned it on and it worked fine. I did do a lot of programming earlier in the day, maybe that had something to do with it. Anyone have any ideas?

Another note, is a future upgrade in the works to fix the bug that causes the titles of the position palletes to dissapear?

The problem you describe with the monitor screen sounds very much like the "copy to memory zero" bug. This happens if you press COPY, and then press ENTER without changing the 'copy to' field from it's default value of '--' (zero) to something sensible. This problem is corrected in release 6.x, watch the release announcements, it will be out soon.

Position palettes losing names? Not heard of this one before. If you over-program a palette (or memory or submaster or SX for that matter) then it does lose the original name. Is this what you're seeing, or is there something else wrong??

No, this happens consistently with palettes about 8 and above. I name them and save. When I reboot, palettes 8 and above don't have names. The positions are still intact so it is only a minor inconvienience.

About the screen copy to memory zero bug. Is there any way to fix it without rebooting the system?

The display fault can be cleared by forcing the desk to write it's show data to the internal Flash (the "saving show, please wait" message that pops up occasionally). For example, any of the following will make this happen:

- Save the show to floppy and load it back again

- Change the DMX patch

- Assign a fixture

- Change the remote button setup

- Program a hundred or so memories (!)

Haven't managed to reproduce the palette names problem. Can you mail us your show file (techsupp@zero88.com) so we can see if we can reproduce the problem here!

Thanks,

Paul.

• 3 years later...

Noticed something after upgrading from 10.2 to 10.3. Some of the names of my Position Palettes were gone. Had the same problem when I upgraded 9.6 to 9.8. The data in those Palettes is still there, but the names were deleted.

Moderation: Moved into the 'Bugs' & Errors' forum since this is a general problem with all releases to date.

So, if you don't start drinking...I'm gonna leave!!!

Hmmm...had the same problem, when loading the file into Phantom Frog...so it's perhaps a saving (or loading) issue?

Nevertheless here is the showfile

Names of Position Pallette 14, 15,16 and 21 are gone...

Hi Morn,

Were your position palettes named:

14 Random Lines

15 Laser Cannon

16 Rot. Triangle

21 Double Beam Anim

...by any chance? :)

Thanks for the showfile, I was able to track down the problem using it. This is a bug which will be fixed in the next release.

Frog Reference 5545 - Position palette names are not loaded if the same numbered Colour palette is programmed and the same numbered Beamshape palette is not programmed.

As a workaround, if you program the same numbered beamshape palette (with any data), then the position palette names will then load correctly.

Paul

Were your position palettes named:

14 Random Lines

15 Laser Cannon

16 Rot. Triangle

21 Double Beam Anim

...by any chance? Smile

Hey, there they are! icon14.gif :-)

Thanks for the showfile, I was able to track down the problem using it. This is a bug which will be fixed in the next release.

Thanks for tracking down these bugs and making our Frogs a little bit better again. :D

As a workaround, if you program the same numbered beamshape palette (with any data), then the position palette names will then load correctly.

Tried this on 10.4 Phantom Frog and it didn't worked.

I programmed the empty Beamshape Palettes with some data (fixtures were tagged :) ) and gave even names to them, saved the show to disk, reloaded it, but missing Position Palettes names didn't appear again. I fixed it for me, with naming lost Palettes again via F2 button.

I programmed the empty Beamshape Palettes with some data (fixtures were tagged :) ) and gave even names to them, saved the show to disk, reloaded it, but missing Position Palettes names didn't appear again. I fixed it for me, with naming lost Palettes again via F2 button.

This is what I'd expect. However now you have programmed the empty beamshape palettes and renamed the position palettes, then the position palettes will no longer lose their names.

Ohh, ok...I missunderstood you...:roll: I thought that the lost names magically appear again, when programming the beamshape palettes. But I see now, that programming the Beamshape Palettes is more like "locking" Position names.

Thank you anyway for your efforts. icon14.gif

• 1 month later...

Hi

this is happening to me on my palletttes as well.

Sorry PAul I don't really understand your work around - obviously a bit thick on my part.

Basically on my position pallettes they read - all up, all down, x cross,

horizontal etc.

When i booted the machine half were missing. Version 10.0.

How do I get them back on the monitor without re writing

thanks

Andy

Imagine you had the following palettes programmed (taking the numbers from Morn's example):

C B P

1 1 1

2 2 2

3 3 3

4 4 4

5 5 5

6 6 6

7 7 7

8 8 8

9 9 9

10 10 10

11 11 11

12 12 12

13 13 13

14 -- 14

15 -- 15

16 -- 16

17 17 17

18 18 18

19 19 19

20 20 20

21 -- 21

22 22 22

23 23 23

24 24 24

Then the bug would cause the names of position palettes 14, 15, 16 & 21 to be lost. To correct it, you need to program the missing beamshape palettes (any old data), then re-enter the names for the corresponding position palettes.

• 2 months later...

This is really getting annoying - my names in position pallets just disappear also - the positioin is still programmed but the name is gone - I know where they are at but when I have someone help me - thats when I run in to trouble.

I cant trace when it dissappears. I set it one day, the very next day I came in and they were gone again! ARG!

That and the time on the board always gaining are the only two issues I have.

both of these issues happen with the previous and new sw release.