Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Connecting to Capture using Art-Net

Christopher Snape

Just wondering if there is any thing I need to regarding connecting to a pc using art-net. The manual does not say much at all.

With these menus:

Transmit Art-Net

Network Switch

Subnet

Universe 1 Port

Universe 2 Port

Universe 3 Port

Universe 4 Port

What should I switch these to? I assume thet 'Transmit Art-Net' should say Yes? The others I am not sure of?

First thing make sure the IP adress on your PC is set to something like 2.0.0.1

then on the frog 2

Transmit Arnet: yes

Network Switch: 2

subnet: 0

universe 1: 0

Univesre 2: 1

Universe 3: 2

universe 4: 3

You may have to change the networkswitch from 2 to 10 and back again to force it to take.

regards

Richard

A.C.T. Lighting inc

First thing make sure the IP adress on your PC is set to something like 2.0.0.1

then on the frog 2

Transmit Arnet: yes

Network Switch: 2

subnet: 0

universe 1: 0

Univesre 2: 1

Universe 3: 2

universe 4: 3

You may have to change the networkswitch from 2 to 10 and back again to force it to take.

regards

Richard

A.C.T. Lighting inc

I did find out what was wrong finally. It was that I needed a Xover cable OR Ethernet Switcher. Once I had one of these (ethernet switcher) everything worked as it should. I find it strange though that no-ware to be found was this info. Not in the Capture manual OR the Frog manual. I think for the sake of a few extra printed words it would be handy to have this basic info contained within the operating manual don't you think?

Thanks

Apologies for the lack of information in the operating manual :oops:

When that section was written that was all the information I had. I have not used ArtNet or Capture myself and so am unfamiliar with the details of the setup required.

However, I do know a couple of people who have used Capture with the Frog 2 desk and I will try and persuade them to write a few words on the subject which can be posted in this forum and then added to the next issue of the manual :)

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

A network connection between the Frog 2 and an artnet supportive device is required in order to utilise the Artnet facilities of the console. This network connection can take many forms, but most commonly a Crossover Cat-5 cable or a network hub and two straight wired Cat-5 cables can be used.

Devices receiving Artnet must be located in the same subnet and IP range as the transmitting console. In the case of Capture, it is suggested you set the computer IP address to 2.0.0.#. Once the computer IP address is set, start up the console and computer. On the Frog 2, set the Artnet options as follows:

Transmit Art-Net: Yes/No. Enables/Disables artnet transmission.

Network Switch: 2/10. Artnet allows two separate network IP ranges. Most people use 2.0.0.x

Subnet: The penultimate number in the 2.0.0.x IP range. Used for multiple ArtNet networks on a single network.

Universe x Port: Each port can be allocated a separate port, or be disabled. This port must be matched with the Artnet receiving device (Capture, etc).

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace