Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Rack 6 Fan too loud

Maxit

Hi !

I'm using a Rack6 Dimmer at a small open air theatre.

The Problem is that the technik room is only 1 meter behind the audience and the fan of the Rack6 Dimmer is very loud (compared to a botex dimmer and an old betapack).

Is it possible to replace the fan by one or more quiet fans like the ones you get as computer accessories?

Greets Maxit

• 16 years later...

I would suspect that the bearings in the fan are beginning to wear, so I'd simply replace it (or get your local service centre to replace it) - it will be a generic 'off the shelf' muffin/computer style fan so easily obtainable from most electronics suppliers.

The fans are built to a price (and bought wholesale by Zero88), in the millions of units using relatively low cost materials for bearings so they will age quicker than the rack itself. The longest part of the swapover will be transferring the power connection on the fan I suspect :)

Ian Knight aka The Service Guy - www.serviceguy.co.uk

There is another possible cause of the noise, the earlier units the vents for the fans were punched out of the metalwork as slots. 

This left the edges of the slots saw-toothed which can give excessive air flow noise.

On the later units the vents were replaced with a round edge fan guard.

image.png

• Like 1

Regards,

Keith Rogers

keith.rogers@signify.com

DD: +44 (0) 1633 833 101.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you'll find any newer fan will be quieter because the bearings are new. The important thing is to match the overall size of the fan & it's voltage - there's probably a label on the noisy fan that will have a part number that can be googled. You will probably see listed as accessories for the new unit - the wire grill that Keith showed - some decent side cutters will remove your old grill & the existing screws will hold the grill and fan in place or replace with suitable nuts & bolts :D

Ian Knight aka The Service Guy - www.serviceguy.co.uk