Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

XLS Midi Output

Hi,

Does anyone have any info on the midi messages that an XLS desk sends when it's in Preset or Run modes? The manual states that they are only of use to another desk or a computer. I have used a midi sniffing program to see what messages are being sent - and it appears to be a series of MIDI NRPN messages. There seems to be a series of parameters that are assigned values, but without knowing what these parameters correspond to I can't make much use of them on the computer. I'm hoping to trigger sound effects by flashing one channel (using the strobe setting in the SU menu) and have the sound program respond to the midi event.

The alternative approach is to use the sound program (sound cue system) to control the XLS - I've figured out how to bring memories up, but not how to access the fade time control, or the Go button (it may not even be possible). Any ideas?

cheers,

The midi on those desk is only set up in such a way that the opertation was designed to use a simple keyboard to bring on channel or play memories.

I don't have that much on the midi commands being sent out in run and preset but most of them are actually only of a format that another desk in slave mode would be able to understand.

If you have a look at the rear of the XLS manual there is some info on this set up. Manual can be down loaded from this web site.

Regards,

Keith Rogers

keith.rogers@signify.com

DD: +44 (0) 1633 833 101.

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply. I've already got the XLS manual, but it doesn't give any detail on the Run and Preset mode MIDI outputs - except that they are only of use to another XLS or a computer.

The desk is actually outputting MIDI NRPN (Non-Registered Parameter Number) messages. This is a fairly common way for devices to communicate with others like themselves over MIDI without having to have a special protocol. (more info on it here: http://www.philrees.co.uk/nrpnq.htm). It's basically a whole load of numbered parameters that can be set to any value between 0 and 127. So for example setting parameter 12 to value 64 might make the receiving device set a channel to half brightness. What I'm basically after is the NRPN specification of the XLS desk so that I know what the various parameter numbers relate to in terms of it's functionality. I can then do something with the output.

Gordon