Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

sirius 250 rebuild

thock

I've got a sirius 250 console thats totally broken, beond repair. I was wondering if the interface card in it can be used to bulild up a dmx controlling computer. So the question is is it a generic interface or spessially made for this console. also the interface inside would be nice to know if it is a serial/paralell connection or if it is a isa/pci interface

ill be happy for any info anyone can give me :)

The Sirius 250 PCIF card is a custom card which connects to the ISA bus. This was actually one of the reasons that the product was discontinued - you just can't buy ATX motherboards any more which have the ISA connectors on.

On the PCIF card is a slave processor (also now obsolete!) which communicates with the PC through a dual port RAM mapped into ISA address space. If I recall correctly, the slave processor does some of the DMX calculation in this desk, and so the interface to it is far from trivial.

I think your best bet would be to dispose of the remains of your desk in an environmentally friendly fashion, and start somewhere else if you want to get into computer based DMX control. Do a google search for 'USB DMX', that would probably be the best place to start.