Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Desk Crash loop

Christopher Snape

Hi,

Just wondered if you have come accross this before but I was recording a que with an effect running and the desk crashed. Upon restarting it started up but every time it gets to the point of loading it crashes saying 'The instruction at "0x7c910fzb" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memory could not "read".' It shows different error numbers each time.

I have not saved to disk or anything and hopefully will not lose the set-up I had. But as it seems at the moment I can not even get into the set-up. Is there a hard reset button or something somewhere so I can reset the desk?

Can you help me?

Chris

Ok, the first thing to do a backup your show...

You will need to hold down F1 on the keyboard while the desk boots.

This will bring up a Startup utility window.

In this window there is a Backup option, use that to save the show to memory stick, or burn it to a CD.

Please check that the show file is on the CD or memory stick before carrying on..

Next, in that same window, select the "Clear Show" option.

The desk should now reboot.

Please let me know if this does or doesn't sort this out...

Thanks...

Simon Aspland

OK,

It seems you have an older version of the desk operating system installed...

Download THIS UTILITY and follow the instructions in the readme file for creating a backup file...

If you could e-mail me the backup.dat file it creates (saspland@zero88.com), I should be able to extract your showfile from it...

Once you have a backup.dat file (and have verified it) you can use the clear option, this should make the desk boot again.

Although I would recommend upgrading the desk to the latest OS available on the zero88 website. See THIS TOPIC.

Simon Aspland

• 3 weeks later...
OK,

It seems you have an older version of the desk operating system installed...

Download THIS UTILITY and follow the instructions in the readme file for creating a backup file...

If you could e-mail me the backup.dat file it creates (saspland@zero88.com), I should be able to extract your showfile from it...

Once you have a backup.dat file (and have verified it) you can use the clear option, this should make the desk boot again.

Although I would recommend upgrading the desk to the latest OS available on the zero88 website. See THIS TOPIC.

I assume that the clear option that you are talking about is the option in setup - once the desk has started up correctly? Unfortunatly I still can not start the desk up ':(' . The only way I can is in explorer (holding F1 down and clicking explorer'. Once I have found the 'Run' application in explorer it will start up, although I have found that there seems to be a problem in the cue information ':x' . As I go to clear out everything one by one, when I try to clear the cue info it crashes. Is there a way I can just load the new software without having to let the desk boot up? Or should I just re-install the whole software. The version that is on the desk is 2.0.3. ':?' I do not really care about loseing the show info anymore. :(

If you wish to perform a complete wipe and reload of the desk, you should download the Frog 2 Operating System Install CD v0.0.0.8 . This can then be burned to a CD, following the instructions in the PDF file.

This will perform a complete wipe of the Frog 2 and reinstall the necessary components. It will also upgrade the desk to the latest software versions.

I believe Simon was referring to the clear option in the Backup utilty. However, you should upgrade the desk to 0.0.0.8 and version 3.0.0 of the Desk software as there are many new features and bug fixes between 2.0.3 and 3.0.0.

Good luck with the upgrade.

Peter

Peter Kirkup

If you wish to perform a complete wipe and reload of the desk, you should download the Frog 2 Operating System Install CD v0.0.0.8 . This can then be burned to a CD, following the instructions in the PDF file.

This will perform a complete wipe of the Frog 2 and reinstall the necessary components. It will also upgrade the desk to the latest software versions.

I believe Simon was referring to the clear option in the Backup utilty. However, you should upgrade the desk to 0.0.0.8 and version 3.0.0 of the Desk software as there are many new features and bug fixes between 2.0.3 and 3.0.0.

Good luck with the upgrade.

Peter

Thanks for all that, I have just completed the complete system reset/install and all seems to be working fine now so I'll give it another go.