Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

How does Jester compare to the Frog?

Hi All,

I'm currently looking into a new desk, and untill this afternoon the FatFrog was the desk of my choice. This afternoon the decision was made to drop the (firstly) planned moving heads, so the fixture control of the FatFrog is now longer needed. I am now doubting to get the Frog or the Jester 24/48. Except for the fact the Frog has a keyboard connection and more submaster pages I can't seem to find feature which justify the extra € 1000,- . The jester has a USB storage connection, which is a big plus (for the (college) theatre).

What would be a reason to prever a Frog above a Jester?

(I kinda need an answer quick, so if you know something, please respond)

Apart from those you've already mentioned, Frog currently has the following plusses over Jester:

- Selectable triggers on memories (Go button, Automatic or Real Time).

- N-shot chases.

- Jumps in the memory stack.

- Edit Blind function.

- Individually programmable fade times on submasters.

- Bigger panel with more controls, so more things are readily accessible.

- 6 remote inputs.

- Desk Lamp socket.

If none of these matter to you, and things like the smaller physical footprint, 12/24 Auxiliaries, USB memory storage, DMX-IN and MIDI are more important, then the Jester may well be a better choice for you.

Just one other thing to throw into the mix - if you think you might one day want to upgrade to a moving lights desk, then that may favour the Frog, since then upgrading to a Fat Frog would be less of a learning curve. Although you should find a lot of the fundamental operating principles of the Frog and the Jester are quite similar. Well, why reinvent the wheel...

Well you for your quick info, it was really helpfull. With this info I "pushed" a zero88 desk into the (college) theatre. Maybe they found some money somewhere, which will get us 4x Coemar 250XL Wash + the Fat Frog, else it will be the Jester. I have used a sirius 24 for a couple of years, and love the relative ease of use (which I see in the (phantom)frog also).

I will post when the final verdict is in. (It might be the Fat Frog anyway since they were truly impressed by the phantom frog, also in combination with educational training)

UPDATE:

Don't just love "CEO's"? Even before I came in friday everything was already ordered! So now we got the Fat Frog with the Coemar's... :) Stage should be ready in the beginning in May, I hope the Fat Frog will be avaible right away (the supplier normally doesn't supply Zero88 (which I thought was strange, since he is sort of speducked in schools/theatre's for which zero88 is ideal in my eyes).

For zero88 marketing:

Choice of zero88 was because:

1) Ease of use (a.o. to be able to use all channel preset to more complicated memorry's with or without fixtures)

2) Studiness

3) My familiarity with zero88

4) Phantom frog

a) Training purpose for new operators/ students/ external users

B) Programming for operators, whenever they have time, without going to the auditorium (or the auditorium being aviable)

c) The "CEO's" were truly impressed by a "(phantom)frog demo" (oh look it got a kinds of buttons, which we already understand.. ;)