Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Not as much a feature as a manual reference

dwh

I had a bit of a fun tech for a time-pressured (aren't they all?) play on my first proper run with my new Bullfrog, and I didn't realise that fade down times in the stack were for the action you're on, as opposed to the memory you're on (i.e. I thought "LX2: Fade up 3s, Fade down 5s" in a column meant LX2 takes 5s to fade down, not LX1 takes 5s to fade down), though I realised what was happening, and a quick search of the forum explained it... Might a mention in the manual be helpful?

Just a thought.

Nice to see that some people use the Search function on the forum :P

Anyway, for the benefit of those who may not have located the relevant topic, here is a summary of how fade times work on memories ...

One important thing to remember is that the fade times (both HTP and LTP) apply to the incoming memory.

The fade up and down times refer to HTP (brightness/intensity) channels and the LTP fade time applies to colour/beamshape/position channels in fixtures.

Brightness - When going from memory X to memory Y the brightness channels that change value will fade according to the fade times set in memory Y. This applies to both channels that are fading up and those fading down For example ...

Memory X: Channels 1 - 3 are all programmed at 50%

Memory Y: Channel 1 is programmed at 0%, Channel 2 is programmed at 50%, Channel 3 is programmed at 100%

Fade up is 5 seconds, Fade down is 2 seconds

If memory X is being output, Y is the next memory and the GO button is pressed ...

Channel 1 fades down from 50% to 0% in 2 seconds (uses the fade down time)

Channel 2 remains static at 50%

Channel 3 fades up from 50% to 100% in 5 seconds (uses the fade up time)

Colour, Beamshape and Position - These parameters can either snap to their programmed values or fade to their programmed values in the LTP fade time for the incoming memory. Example

Memory X: Colour = 25, Gobo = 50, Pan = 0, Tilt = 0

Memory Y: Colour = 45, Gobo = 10, Pan = 50, Tilt = 50

LTP fade = 5 seconds; Colour action = snap, beam action = snap, position action = fade.

If memory X is being output, Y is the next memory and the GO button is pressed ...

Colour (colour) snaps from 25 to 45 instantly

Gobo (beamshape) snaps from 50 to 10 instantly

Pan (Position) fades from 0 to 50 in 5 seconds (the LTP fade time)

Tilt (Position) fades from 0 to 50 in 5 seconds (the LTP fade time)

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

Cheers :-D

Of course you search! You search to find a quick answer, and minimise unnecessary work for others! Oh, and at 10:30pm after a long rehearsal, I wouldn't expect our lovely staff to be around! I sure as duck wouldn't be!