Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Changing Movement Speed During Movement?

Pinspot

Hi everyone,

I wanted to find out if it is possible to change the speed of movement from point A to point B. I know right now if I want to set a speed I just change the speed with the wheel. Lets say I set a light to take 3sec to get from point A to point B so I program this and the light takes 3 sec. Now my question is during those 3sec is it possible to change the speed where the light starts out moving fast toward point B but ends up slowing down just before it gets to point B. I know that when you program a light it moves at a constant speed from point A to point B but I want to be able to change that speed during those 3sec. Im using a Fatfrog to do this.

Thanks

Peter

The best method for this would be to program the movement as a single-shot chase. First you need to decide how many steps you're going to require to make a smooth movement. The simplest implementation of this will be for a 2step chase.

S1 - Original Position

C2 - Step1 - Three quarters of the way to new position

C2 - Step2 - In new position

Set the second memory up as a chase, continuous crossfade, set the Shots to [1] and Position to [Fade]. Play with the speed control to obtain a reasonable speed for the fade.

If you've got generic (HTP) fades happening at the same time as this movement, you'll need to program them at 50% of their end value in Step1 and at their end value in step 2.

Hope this makes sense

Peter

Peter Kirkup

you could also do this with memories. Making a memory with postition A and a memory with position B. On the playback x fader is a fade override control with wich you can slow down or speed up fading time during the fade itself. Don't know if this also works on the ltp fade time though.

if one million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.