Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Parameter tagging on effects

ice

Why is the movement effect section of the individual programming grouped into one block? I was looking forward to the possibility of making some speed pallets, some for default fanning modes and 90/180/270 rotations. By using the fixture groups and those kind of pallets creating a totally new effect from existing stuff doens't take time anymore! I don't get the idea of the group of effects. The parameters should be individual and when the pallet doens't contain all the information needed for the effect, the current values could be used (default 0 for all parameters).

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

you mean the parameters for the effect section should be seperated also? I'd agree. This would create a huge amount of possibilities. You could the put the x and x under a separate submaster and you could the control the effect size directly. Must be a reason for why they didn't do it in this version though. Probably a programming thingy.

if one million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.

If the six movement effect parameters could be tagged and programmed individually - yes it could create a huge number of possibilities ... it could also create a huge number of problems !!

The different movement effect parameter outputs could be coming from different sources (playback stack, submasters, position palettes, control wheels).

Even if you could program an individual movement effect parameter onto a submaster you could still only use the fader to trigger the effect parameter to it's programmed value since they are LTP parameters not HTP parameters ! The submaster fader movement would not have continuous live control of the effect parameter.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

The different movement effect parameter outputs could be coming from different sources (playback stack, submasters, position palettes, control wheels).

Thats the idea! I see how this can cause confusion, I don't see why that should stop operators using the feature. For operators who don't like the individuality and have problems with it, there's still the option of tagging all the parameters or tagging the entire position group. For the ones who don't have problems this gives a full range of options. And if the speed of the movement you're playing is off and you don't know where that's coming from: just alter it!? It's LTP so whatever the off speed was coming from doesn't matter any more. I do assume there's going to be some kind of display to tell the operator where everything he's outputting from? Otherwise when you want to alter a scene you'd have to begin searching for all individual parameters and the scene's they're programmed in!?

The current way of programming means that for instance the current colour you're displaying is coming from: submasters, memory X, a pallet or even the encoder wheels, that would be the same for speed, offset, etc. all individually. Sounds more cool than confusing, especially when the number of pallets was to be resized using the page flip buttons ;)

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

• 4 months later...

Nice work on the new software and parameter tagging!

But wouldnt it be nice to be able to tag just an effects parameter individually? making it possible to control eg. the size of a circle by moving a submaster.

I know this might be due to limitation in the implementation of the effects engine and require a lot of work. But will this feature be available in the future?

Thanks

Erik

Hi Erik, and welcome to the forums.

There are actually 2 issues here:

1. Individual programming of movement effect parameters.

2. Controlling a movement effect parameter directly using the position of the submaster fader. Currently only brightness can be controlled using the position of the submaster fader. LTPs and movement effect parameters are triggered as the submaster is raised above the trigger level. This has already been raised and discussed HERE

At the moment there are no plans to introduce either of these features. But the functionality of the Frog series does get reviewed periodically with our sales teams, so who knows what the future may hold...

Paul.

• 7 months later...

Hi, i love the parameter programming!

But was wondering if it is me doing something wrong or if the feature is not there.

Is it possbile to program fx a x size as the only parameter? or a movement speed? It would be nice to have 3 different movements speeds in the position pallete, is that possible with latets version of software?

Move while dark! -> GOGOGO! :D

Thank you Zero for the FR 5402 :)