Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Installing Phantom Frog

Pinspot

I couldn’t find any information on how to install the Phantom Frog software on the website. My question is after I download it and unzip it what program do I use to open it. I couldn’t get any windows to pop up that say installation procedure. I’m using Windows XP.

Thanks

Pete

You just double click the "Phantom Frog.msi" file that is in the zip, and it runs the installer. It's no more complicated than that! Check your privileges to make sure you have sufficient permissions to install software. Also beware of all the clag that is appearing on PCs these days that tends to prevent you downloading anything from the internet and installing it!

• 4 months later...

I'm sure I'm being stupid, but I've installed Phanton Frog 10.4 and all seems fine, and I double click on the icon and up comes the Interfaces and Options window, and I see the Front Panel and Monitor when I click on them, but nothing happens when I click Run.

All the faders and dials work fine on the Front Panel, but the Monitor stays jet black.

Someone tell me where the power switch is!

Cheers

Thanks for your response

I'm afraid I had tried that - no effect at all. I'm assuming that I don't actually need to have a floppy drive attached until I want to export the show to my desk - my laptop is of a post-floppy generation, so I have pointed the Floppy Drive box at a folder on my hard drive - I have a USB floppy drive somewhere, but not to hand, and was going to copy the show, and a changed fixtures file, to a floppy when I'm done!

Cheers

Thanks again for rapid response!

I've tried that, and the Run button shows it has been it (the shadows round the text react) but the text stays as Run. I've tried reinstalling Phantom Frog and have reloaded it.

I'm running on a Sony VAIO VGN-T2XP, Windows XP SP2, in case that is relevant.

I've also tried restarting the laptop to see whether that improved things, but it didn't. Four files have appeared on my desktop - Flash0.dat, Flash1.dat, faders.dat and nrvdata.dat. Their last update dates correspond to the time I last tried to run Phantom Frog. Don't know whether that helps.

Cheers

Your problem is that Phantom Frog can't find the DLL it needs (DXK.dll). This should be in the install directory (default C:Program FilesZero 88 Lighting LtdPhantom Frog) together with the 4 files you mention.

Chances are that on your desktop you've got a copy of the exe, not a shortcut to where it's installed. Fix this.

Also worth making sure that you are logged in as a user with sufficient privileges to modify the Program Files directory.

• 1 month later...

i see a grey box that has 2 words in it (interfaces, options) and nothing more when i start up Phantom Frog. i have no idea what the problem is so i was wondering if anybody knew how to fix this problem.

specs:

Acer Aspire 3500

512MB Ram

intel pent. M proccessor 715 1.5 ghz

thanks