Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Brightness chase on the fat frog

dejaybrian

Hey guys long time lurker here..

I have a question, if i have say 4 intelligent fixtures, and i want to chase the brightness on them how would i go about doing that?

For example i want em all dark all the time

then chase the brightness on fixture 1, then to 2 then to 3 and so on..

so the beams look like they are chasing..

We have ver. 9.4 and since need to upgrade to 10.4.. do we need 10.4 to accomplish this?

you don't need the extra software upgrade to actually do this.

You can do this in two ways. If your scan/head has a seperate shutter you can make the shutter chase around. If your head has a seperate dimmer you can also use that. If you have both then its up to you. Personally i like to use the dimmer because you can use that also for slow fades from one scan to the other.

in the case of the seperate dimmer:

make sure all dimmers and channels are at 0, and the fixtures are untagged. put the brightness on one of the scans at 100%. make sure it is still untagged. now select an empty submaster and press program. Take the brightness from the scan down to 0 again. You now should have a submaster with only the brightness from the scan in it, just like a regular dimming channel. Repeat this for all scans. Afther that, You are now able program a chase and simply raise the submasters to make up the steps of the chase just like a regular par chase. The advantage here is that you can still set the crossfade curve on whatever you want, making the fade slow or instant.

for the shutterchase (need software version 10 or up for this one):

start programming a chase. set all channels to 0. Open the shutter on the first scan. using the wheel/group button to make sure everything is untagged but the shutter parameter. Press program and repeat for all scans indivdually.

whilst tagging and untagging, it helps to use a monitor and pressing f1 + one of the scan select buttons. this displays a screen with all parameters and their tag status when you press the wheel/group button.

if one million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.

i am going to upgrade to vers 10, and do it with the wheels... I figured that was all there was to it. Just wanted to make sure is all..

Thanks for the info.

i cant just use the brightness button to and then use the wheels to do the chase? i have 4 518 martins and 2 robe spot 250s. Without having the lights in front of me, i am doing this on the fly..should be easy enough to make the chase and then putting it on a submaster without having a light hooked up??

Wish there was some kind of visualizer made for the frog board..that would be the cats ass!

sorry back to topic now

took me a while to get the hang of doing it without the lights in front of me but i got it now thanks again..