Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Tagging

eldar

Hello all.

I am currently playing with 2 Martin cx2's and my fat frog. All is going ok, begining to get the hang of palettes, but I do have very little time to play on the desk and I'm trying to gather info a little 'in theory' before I get time to practice. For reference Im in partial mode.

My question is... Can someone please explain in plain english, possibly step by step, what tagging is and how it may effect my programing if I don't untag. I've tried the manual and a search on the forum but can't find much info on a broad or general level.

Thanks

eldar

(P.S. can someone also tell me where the spell check is on this forum, not having a good day here)

Tagging only applies when the desk is in Partial Mode and only applies to fixture LTP parameters (colour, beamshape, position).

Basically if a fixture parameter (colour, gobo, shutter, pan, tilt etc.) is tagged it will be recorded into the memory, submaster or palette data.

Untagged fixture parameters are NOT recorded into memories, submasters and palettes.

Tagging and partial programming down to individual parameter level is most useful in palettes and submaster data, ie you can record just a gobo wheel value or shutter into a beamshape palette or submaster data.

Therefore when outputting the palette or the submaster only the parameters tagged (programmed) will be affected.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

Thanks, that makes a bit more sense. I will try playing with this info and my desk. I apologise for asking for info when I have no access to the equipment, but time constraints mean that I am trying to gather info ready for programming quickly.

Just a little more info needed thou -is it tagged when the red led is on or the yellow. I am right in thinking that the yellow led just means that a fixture is programmed in and the red is for fixtures that are 'currently' in use?

Therefore when outputting the palette or the submaster only the parameters tagged (programmed) will be affected.

Does this mean that is I press 'example -palette 4 =red' will all the fixtures I programed into the palette go to red or only the ones that I have pressed and have the red led lit?

eldar

p.s. -ahh at least im not going mad in not being able to find the spell check!

Fixture Selection Buttons each contain two LEDs - one red, one yellow.

The Red LEDs indicate the following ...

LED on - The fixture is selected and moving the control wheels will adjust the corresponding parameters for that fixture depending on the attribute and wheel group selected.

LED flashing - The fixture is selected and is also the 'primary fixture' ie the one whose parameters will be displayed on the wheel LCD above the control wheels.

The yellow LEDs indicate the following ...

LED on - there is a fixture type (eg MAC250) assigned to that fixture selection button

LED flashing - there are one or more parameters tagged for that fixture.

When recording fixture data into memories, submasters and palettes remember it is the tagged state of the fixture parameters that determine what data is recorded not the selection state.

Bran Media | Myspace

Outputting Palettes ...

1. Select the fixture(s) you wish to change using the fixture selection buttons (red LED on).

2. Select the palette to output. Press and hold down the required attribute button (COLOUR, BEAMSHAPE or POSITION) then press the channel flash button corresponding to the required palette number.

Only the selected fixtures which have parameters programmed in the selected palette will change to the programmed values in the palette.

Hint: If you are outputting several palettes - Hold down F1 and press one of the attribute buttons. This will lock the channel flash buttons to operate as the appropriate palette selection buttons. In this state you can quickly and easily switch between attributes using the attribute buttons.

Bran Media | Myspace

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just about through with my first lil corporate show using the fat frog. I'm still confused about how tagging works - sometimes I'll notice the fixtures get tagged after running a sub up; sometimes the fixtures un-tag after I store a cue and I don't know if they recorded till I attempt playback; sometimes I record a cue and only one or 2 of the parameters record, not everything

also - in Memories creen, what does F and S stand for in the CBP columns/

thanks, Tim Olson

AV Concepts

In version 10 software, playing a memory/submaster/SX/palette will auto-tag the channels recorded therein. This is to make it easier to change something and re-record it. However some people don't like it, so...

Frog Reference 5583 - Option to disable, add-to, or replace tags when when replaying Memories, Submasters & SXs.

Tags are automatically cleared by the desk when you hit Program, so you're starting with a clean sheet on the next thing you record.

The easiest way to see what's tagged is to use the Fixture Outputs Screen. Hold down F1, and press a fixture selection button. To see the tags rather than the output values, press the WheelGroup button. In version 10.4 software you can lock the display on the tag mode by holding down F1 when you press the WheelGroup button.

F and S on the memories screen stand for Fade and Snap.