Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Setting up Scrollers

Ian_p

Still wrestling with setting up scrollers on my generic rig, and a couple of questions occur to me.

When a lamp and scroller is assigned, the brightness and scroll / colour are on the same wheel. How do you put brightness on one wheel and the colour on another? Is this possible?

Also, the lamps 'behind' the scrollers are already in the generic patch, and frankly I want to left them there, but I also want like to have them available to the wheel as above, but when you attempt to patch them, they are not available as they are already 'patched'. Any ideas?

Finally, one thing whilst programming a show with the scrollers. When trying to edit a memory, you put the yellow bar on the memory you want to edit and press go to make this 'current', you then press edit, and it steps onto the 'next' memory - which I don't want to edit! What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance.

With Lamps and Scrollers - there are a couple of ways in which you can set up the desk.

1. Have the lamp controlled by one of the generic / dimmer preset faders and the scroller as a separate fixture - a single colour channel scroller.

2. Have the lamp and scroller as a single fixture in which case the brightness and colour channels will both be controlled via the control wheels as with any other fixture. This is known as a composite fixture and you have to patch both the 'dimmer' and 'fixture' part of the fixture to the corresponding DMX addresses.

It really depends on how you wish to control the lamp/scroller combination, ie with a fader for the lamp and the scroller via the wheels, or both lamp and scroller via the wheels.

Note - You cannot patch more than one item (dimmer channel or fixture) to the same DMX address. Therefore it is NOT possible to control the lamp via a fader AND the control wheels.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

Cheers K9, I understand that you can't patch a channel and a fixture to the same DMX address.

However, the issue about editing is still odd, as I have tried selecting a memory on the screen, and pressing edit, and it definately steps onto the next memory and enters edit on that one..I'll try again.

Thanks for your help!

...When a lamp and scroller is assigned, the brightness and scroll / colour are on the same wheel. How do you put brightness on one wheel and the colour on another? Is this possible?

Yes it is possible. With the "Fixture Type Editor" you can also change the wheel where the parameter will appear. But of course within seperate attributes.