Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Virtual Intensity

Transalp

For about one year I work with a LeapFrog and since then I sometimes visit this forum as a guest. Now I'm looking for an answer to a problem, perhaps it was already handled in the past, but I didn't find it yet:

Why isn't it possible having a fixture with 3 brightness channels on the frog-range? There are a number of units with rgb-colour-mix, they all have 3 dimmer channels! But what about working with that on a frog?

If I define the parameters "red", "green" and "blue" as colour attributes they are treated on LTP basis and do not depend on the grandmaster. So if I dim the entire scene, the rgb-units remain at 100%.

In case that I patch the units to the generic fader I loose 1x (or 2x or 3x or…) 3 channels for other lighting.

So – what is to do?

Is that a feature that will appear in an update in the future?

Or is there an other way of solution?

I know about software-lightingsystems running on a computer (like e:cue) where such a rgb-fixture is in the library.

At the moment, the Frog range can only support one HTP channel per fixture. If you need the attributes to be affected by the masters, you're going to have to seperate each attribute into a different fixture (or perhaps use any spare generic faders you may have).

With the Frog2, these sort of LED fixtures can be defined with a virtual dimmer, eliminating the problem of multiple HTP channels.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Peter Kirkup

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am just about to receive some cheapy PAR64 LED fixtures. What is the best way to control these using a Fat Frog?

I was hoping to set the RGB as colour parameters so that I could use pallates but then just realised that these being LTP cannot be controlled for brightness using a submaster.

Am I best to just set these up using Generic channels? or what do you folk suggest is best?

I already have 4 fixtures assigned to my Fat Frog and use up to 24 generic channels. I am only getting 4 of the LED units (at least to start) and would like to have individual control over them for greatest flexibility but I do want to be able to "easily" match colours between them during set up

Each LED unit requires 6 DMX channels (RGB, Colour Macro, Strobe, Colour change macro) - not exactly sure what the Colour Macro channel is but I suggest it allows me to select individual colours without RGB mixing).

Thanks,

Andrew.

If you really need to use the RGB channels as dimming, you're going to have to use up 3 generic channels per fixture. You could create a user fixture type for the additional three channels (Strobe+Macros), and patch these as fixtures.

Or you could buy a Frog2, which allows you to create a 'virtual' dimming channel on your LED fixtures ;)

Peter Kirkup

Interesting suggestion, thanks. Would mean that I could still use pallates for the colour macros for setting "full" colour intensity. That would allow timed fades using subs or memories (using LTP fade time).

Manual dimming would be still be possible on the RGB generic channels.

Any other ideas?

• 10 months later...

I'm using the mambo frog with os v10.4

I want to create a virutal channel (brightness HTP) mapped to the colour of a fixture. Creating it with fixture editor is no problem, but when I assign the fixture on my mambo, the virtual channel isn't displayed.

Is it possible that mambo frog can't handle virtual channels, or am I dooing something wrong ?

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I wish to echo the sentiments of the previous post, and ask has there been any development on this issue. Is there a limitation in the frog range architecture that limits the number of brightness channels to one, or constrains other parameters such as colour to LTP only?

I understand that the Frog two is the more advanced desk feature wise,but with the number of cheap and basic LED products on the market, it seems disproportionate that the Frog range cannot efficiently control them

• 7 months later...

I have just got 4 Showtec LED Pars, these use 4 channels - I've assigned them as fixtures and they work ok via the wheels.

However when I store the setting into a submaster, I can recall the scene but then cannot turn them off. is the only way, to problem another submaster to switch them off??

Help!

On the original Frog range, LTP channels (such as the fixture channels you've assigned) are triggered when you activate a submaster, so yes, the only way to 'turn them off' is to trigger them to move to another value. The alternative is to patch the fixture channels as faders on the generic presets, which will then be treated HTP and therefore will fade down when you fade down the submaster.

On the new Leap Frog 48/96 and Frog 2 desks, the desk has a virtual intensity channel for these LED fixtures which will dim them out when you bring the submaster down, and the submasters also release (meaning that the LTPs are returned to doing whatever they were doing before the submaster was triggered).

Peter Kirkup

i try to re-awake this treath, because i'm also would be happy if there is a possibillity about more than 1 channel in the brigthness section. and i don't have the money to buy me a frog2. it is a really cool desk, i tested is this year at the pro light+sound. perhaps zero88 could take my FatFrog and make it to a frog2 for me?

Increasing the number of brightness channels per fixture would be a major change to the data structures of the desk and therefore is unlikely to happen in a future release. The Leap Frog 48/96 and Frog2 desks support virtual intensity channels however, and this is something which we are considering providing a software update for the original Frog series for:

Frog Reference 5593 - Virtual Intensity support for fixtures

Peter Kirkup

• 7 months later...

Hello,

I have a problem with Virtal Intensity and the mambo frog.

I made a LED fixture with 3 Channel (red, green, blue) and one Virtual Channel for dim these 3 channels by a submaster. I load the fixture into the console. But when I want to control the fixture only the color parameters are available. The brithness section is empty.

Can anyone tell me, how I can control the virtual intensity? Or is there another possibility to control the 3 Channels by a submater?