Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Fat froggie & Movers

szieve

Okeeee... I'm going to be programming my first show on a Fat frog and need a few tips. If you just want to post page numbers in the manual for me to refrence that's ok. From what I can tell the programming arcitecture is a bit clunky as opposed to say a pearl, but for 1/4th the investment that's easily overlooked. I'm going to be programming this show for a non lighting person and need it to be fairly idiot proof. Anyway..on with questions.

1. when programming you can't expect to get what you want by programming directly to subs..yes? you must first program to mems, and then transfer to subs?

2. Is there a "clean" way of programming individual fixture attribtes to a sub, or mem, without having to edit the aformentioned and remove attributes. Using pallettes correct?

3. Combining statics and individual fixture attributes (say color) to a sub.

What I want to do is program a static "look" say in all one color wash. when I bring up that fader I want the movers to change color ONLY ( no brightness) to a pre programmed one. again.. do I program a mem with statics and then add pallette info?

4. Shape generator. I want to use the shape generator adiitively..in other words whatever the position of the fixtures is at the time, I want to be able to bring up a fader and have the movement begin. can shapes be assigned to a pallette button?

5. Sweep function. I know on other desks it is possible to program tilt only info (allowing all other attributes to remain controlled but their respective faders incl. pan) onto a submaster so you can do a "real time" house sweep. How can this be achieved on the Frog? Or say I have a positional cue set up on stage... I then modify that by enableing a shape...I then want to sweep that shape to the house and back as I move the fader up and down...I thinik you get the idea. :)

That should be about it.... I'm sure I'll find little "goodies" as I become more familliar with the desk. If I stumble on anything really neat, I'll post it here.:)

Thanks in advance.

1. when programming you can't expect to get what you want by programming directly to subs..yes? you must first program to mems, and then transfer to subs?

For simple channel and fixture data (scenes) you can program the data directly to submasters (Page 5-2 to 5-3) :)

You can also program memories (scenes or chases) and transfer them to submasters if you wish.

2. Is there a "clean" way of programming individual fixture attribtes to a sub, or mem, without having to edit the aformentioned and remove attributes. Using pallettes correct?

If you mean individual fixture parameters (eg colour wheel, gobo, pan, tilt) etc then the answer is yes. You will need to have Version 10 software installed on the desk and be in Partial Mode. Basically, whatever is tagged will be recorded.

3. Combining statics and individual fixture attributes (say color) to a sub.

What I want to do is program a static "look" say in all one color wash. when I bring up that fader I want the movers to change color ONLY ( no brightness) to a pre programmed one. again.. do I program a mem with statics and then add pallette info?

You can program just the fixture colour parameters directly to a submaster if you wish - again recommend version 10 software and Partial mode to achieve this.

4. Shape generator. I want to use the shape generator adiitively..in other words whatever the position of the fixtures is at the time, I want to be able to bring up a fader and have the movement begin. can shapes be assigned to a pallette button?

In Version 10 you can now program partially down to individual fixture parameter level and therefore you can program Position palettes with a movement effect by itself, whereeas previously it would also include the base pan and tilt position. When you record the movement effect, ensure that the pan and tilt parameters are untagged.

5. Sweep function. I know on other desks it is possible to program tilt only info (allowing all other attributes to remain controlled but their respective faders incl. pan) onto a submaster so you can do a "real time" house sweep. How can this be achieved on the Frog? Or say I have a positional cue set up on stage... I then modify that by enableing a shape...I then want to sweep that shape to the house and back as I move the fader up and down...I thinik you get the idea. :)

Yes, you can program just the pan if you wish. I think that normally pan and tilt are tagged together when you adjust either one but you can change this option in Desk Setup or untag the Pan parameter prior to recording.

NOTE: The Release Notes for version 10 software contain additional information about programming down to individual parameter level and the corresponding user interface changes CLICK HERE

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

• 1 month later...

To tag an individual parameter, simply nudge the wheel on that parameter. To untag it, do the same with WHEELGROUP held down.

In the setup menus, Partial mode is controlled via

Super User

Desk Setup

Program Mode

You can then set Colour, Beam and Position to "Channel" or "All". Note that this only affects the auto-tagging behaviour when a wheel is moved. In partial mode you can always un-tag an individual channel by moving the wheel with WHEELGROUP held down.

Peter Kirkup