Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Stopping Mac 250/300 from restarting on blackout

djwiltsh

Hi there

We have 3 mac 250 profiles and 2 mac 300 washes at my church (www.elimbristol.org) and a bullfrog desk.

The problem is that the macs are powered from plug sockets in the rigging that are on dimmers, so if you do a blackout or take the grand master down, the macs lose power. When you take the blackout off, the macs are then reset as the power comes back on and there is the usual delay as they cool down so the lamps can restrike. (there are some faders on the desk that have to be up in order to have the macs on, these are obviously patched to the dimmer channels for those plug sockets).

Is there any way of getting round this, short of programming the dimmers so that the mac sockets are always on, regardless of the dimmer control information they are receiving?

Thanks

Dan

Unfortunately, all of the sockets in the roof are running off 2 dimmer racks so getting non-dimmed power up there is not an option. We don't tend to use the master fader to dim the lights anyway when the desk is in operation, it is either fully on or fully off, so the macs aren't getting consistently "dimmed" power.

Is there something I can do at the desk end to stop isolate certain channels (the mac power channels) from the master and blackout? That way, you could do a blackout but those channels would still be outputting at 100%, thus the macs would stay on...

Thanks

Dan

Even if you output at 100%; running MAC's from a dimmer is NOT the way of powering those units. You can easily destroy the electrics in there, and I don't see why you can't provide some normal power up there. Just run an extra line and your problems are solved. Don't seek a solutions for problems which shouldn't be there in the first place.

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

As others have said, running moving lights off of dimmers is a very bad idea. I'd suggest you run a hot power feed from somewhere to the movers. A simple 13A feed from a socket in the wall to the grid will do. Seriously, don't run movers from dimmers - its bad for them, and not recommended by the manufacturers. It can result in damage to both the movers and the dimmers.

Peter Kirkup

• 3 months later...

? 8O ?

"The problem is that the macs are powered from plug sockets in the rigging that are on dimmers"

Who installed your lighting system!? I am amazed that your Macs, dimmers, local electric power station are all still working!! 8O

I know it has been a while now, so is it all now resolved?

HARLOW COLLEGE Performing Arts.