Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

movement effect lost

nighteyes

on a fatfrog: software 10.0

using 4 mirror scans

program mode in partial, all attributes at channel mode.

first of all, nice job on the individual parameters!! this really enhances a lot of my programming.

ok, here goes.

i programmed a position pallete. an ellipse effect with x on 100 and y at 0, speed set to 10, and made sure the pan and tilt were untagged. thus i created a left to right effect independant of its base value. Next i recorded some base position values making sure the effect parameters were untagged. Then i tried combining the pallettes. This works great. I can now playback an effect and then adjust its base value with the other pallettes, GREAT. Now for the real problem. I recorded the base positions directly into submasters (one per submaster) still making sure and double checking that only the pan and tilt parameters were recorded. I then adjusted the ltp fade time on these submasters to 10 secs . My intention here was to be able to slowly change the base value and thus redirect the effect slowly using the submasters. However when i playback the submaster (which has only pan tilt info in it and none of the effect info), the effect which was playing from the pallette stops. The fade from one position to the other is working though. the beams gradually move from one position to the next when the next submaster is triggered, but the effect that was playing simply stops.

is this a bug?. Or maybe is there another way of achieving what i want?

if one million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.

I don't think the FX engine was written with the thought of changing position parameters, so that's probably why it isn't working. But your experiment is a good one, and you would probably expect the desk to be able to handle these kinds of things... some work to be done for the next update.

When the movement effect is there, and you view the pan/tilt parameters: there's probably changing all the time, right? In that case the behaviour of the desk is similar to an old problem: it doesn't read the movement effect, but only processes it internally. You see changing pan/tilt parameters and as soon as you touch those you lose the effect. Software already had this problem before v10 (see other topics on this).

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

You're right, outputting a submaster which contains only pan/tilt and not the movement, should not stop the movement that is currently happening. But it does, which is a bug :oops:. Curiously it stops the movement effect without causing it to become tagged though :?. The same also seems to happen on the memory stack and with SXs. In fact the only thing that seems to work as it should are the palettes.

Frog Reference 5531 - Outputting a Memory/Submaster/SX stops the movement effect even if it is not programmed.

If you find anything else position / movement effect related, please post it here.

• 2 months later...

"nighteyes" wrote about a problem with positions on submasters that stop the movement effect on a pallette.

I just had the problem the other way round on my LeapFrog: Some days ago I wanted to record only the movement to a submaster and it didn't run, when raising the sub the fixtures remained at homeposition without movement.

Then I recorded the movement to a pallette and after that I programmed a mix out of several pallettes (colour, beamshape, position and movement) to a submaster --> everything was well except there was no movement at all!

Depends that on the same bug described of "nighteyes"?

I wanted to record only the movement to a submaster and it didn't run, when raising the sub the fixtures remained at homeposition without movement.

This is another manifestation of the same bug, which is addressed in Beta release 10.2. If you want to become a Beta-tester and try out the fix for this, please send an email or PM to K-Nine.