Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Rack 6 Fan Problem

headroom

Hi,

I've got several new Rack 6 which have been in use for a few months now. 2 of these are now having the strange problem that they overheat even on moderate load.

Upon inspecting the matter, it turns out that the cooling fan is no longer operating. As far as I can tell, it's not getting any current from the main pcb.

Anybody got a clue? In the old Betapack days, you could find the schematics on the z88 homepage and solve problems yourself...

Hi headroom,

Welcome to the forums! Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your Rack6's. Have you confirmed that you have +12V going to the fan from the main board? I would have thought it unlikely that this should be the cause of the problem, since the same +12V also feeds (via a +5V regulator) the control electronics, and you don't report any problems there.

If the +12V is OK, then it looks like the fans have failed or there is a bad connection to the main PCB. If it is the fans, then give Keith (our service guy) a call after PLASA, then he'll be able to talk through your options with you. If you're handy with a screwdriver, he can simply send you some new fans.

We don't make circuit diagrams and service information generally available, since we don't want to encourage most people to open up the equipment. However if you speak to Keith nicely and convince him you won't kill yourself or anyone else, he may email you the relevant information.

Regards,

Paul.

I guess I can conclude from your reply that the fan is not temp-regulated but runs at max. speed all the time?

Correct.

I guess this is a case for warranty :-)

Indeed! Again, talk to Keith (when he's back from PLASA), who will be able to discuss with you various options for the repair of the faulty units.