Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Removing attribute data from chase

ice

Don't know if this is really a bug, but I do think so...!

When a chase contains colour/beamshape/position data, the memories screen displays an F or S in the appropriate column for fading and snapping. When you alter the chase the console asks if you want to save colour/beamshape/position info. By answering "no" to these questions, it's possible to edit out attributes that we're recorded. Now if you alter a chase so that no colour information is recorded, you'd say the "colour" column of the memories screen gets cleared to indicate no colour information is recorded in that chase, but it doesn't. The F or S keeps on being displayed while there's no information of that kind stored.

Is this implemented behaviour?

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

Okay, and how about indivudual tagging in each seperate chase step? I can't seem to figure out how the console deals with this. Is it possible to tag different fixtures / attributes / parameters for individual chase step?

For instance: I alter the position of step 1 in a chase, the console asks if I want to save the position info. I choose: no. Now I edit step 2 and alter nothing. I save the step, console asks if I want to save changes (huh? what changes?!?) I choose yes... what's happening now? I don't get it :)

Assuming that the philosophy of partial programming in chases has not changed but simply been extended down to individual parameters rather than attributes (colour, beam, position) ...

I think that a fixture parameter can either be programmed in all steps of the chase or unprogrammed in all steps of the chase.

Maybe the software engineer(s) could verify this :P

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

If that's the case, you should look into the information the consoles gives the operator about this, because there's no way of telling what you're doing since the fixture output screen is unreachable from within the edit mode.

Maybe the edit screens could contain some information about which attributes are tagged througout the chase or something like that.

Okay, and how about indivudual tagging in each seperate chase step? I can't seem to figure out how the console deals with this. Is it possible to tag different fixtures / attributes / parameters for individual chase step?

No. Parameters are programmed (or not) for the entire chase.

For instance: I alter the position of step 1 in a chase, the console asks if I want to save the position info. I choose: no. Now I edit step 2 and alter nothing. I save the step, console asks if I want to save changes (huh? what changes?!?) I choose yes... what's happening now? I don't get it :)

I'm struggling to reproduce this. When you say "I choose: no.", do you mean you set P<No> and then click [Yes], or you leave P<Yes> and then click {No} ? Either way, I can't get the desk to behave the way you say it does :?

One odd thing I do see though, is that when you hold the Memory Type button to change an unprogrammed Scene to a Chase, for some reason it seems to tag all the movement effects. Not sure that should happen...

No. Parameters are programmed (or not) for the entire chase.

A bit confusing since the interface allows the operator to tag different attributes for each step.

I'm struggling to reproduce this. When you say "I choose: no.", do you mean you set P<No> and then click [Yes], or you leave P<Yes> and then click {No} ? Either way, I can't get the desk to behave the way you say it does :?

You have to program a chase containing position info (all of it I guess), save and then edit it. Now edit the first step and select, for instance, a different pallet. Choose P<no> and save the step. Now go to the next step and edit that one. Press edit again without altering data, and the question "save changes" will come up again, at least it did with me :S

One odd thing I do see though, is that when you hold the Memory Type button to change an unprogrammed Scene to a Chase, for some reason it seems to tag all the movement effects. Not sure that should happen...

Noticed that one too, but didn't know if this was supposed to happen or not.

Edit: just checked on Phantom Frog and I can't reproduce it anymore either. Maybe the new programming layout already covers this problem?! If I'm able to reproduce in any way I'll send you the showfile.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I've tracked this one down now, it's a bug:

Frog Reference 5533 - When editing, the channel tags for the MSB of 16-bit parameters are not loaded/saved correctly.

Will be fixed in the next release.

• 1 year later...
A bit confusing since the interface allows the operator to tag different attributes for each step.

Frog Reference 5560 - When editing an already programmed chase (live or blind), tags are not correctly copied from the step being edited to the other steps in the chase.

Maybe the edit screens could contain some information about which attributes are tagged througout the chase or something like that.

Frog Reference 5561 - When editing scenes or chases (live or blind), the WHEELGROUP button does not show the tag states.

Both of these are bugs which will be fixed in the next release.